Hello Fellow OPMs!
When you have time to respond, I ask for your advice in the follow scenario:
Due to my work schedule, my only option has been to take pre-requisite courses at the local CC. I will be finishing General Chemistry 2 and Physics 2 this summer and then taking Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 in the next two semesters at the same CC. I looked into the option of taking Organic at the local 4-year institution, but at this university I would only be able to take Org 1 in the Fall semester (the Saturday lab, and my only lab option, is already full), and the offered schedule for Org 2 in the Spring semester does not fit my work schedule. My decision, therefore, is to take both the Orgs and labs at the CC.
I do have the option, however, to take upper-level Biology classes (immunology and genetics) in the Fall and Spring semesters at the 4-year university while at the same time taking Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 at the CC.
In my mind, I have two options:
(1) Take only Organic (at the CC) in the Fall and Spring Semesters, and treat MCAT preparation as a second class alongside Org. This would give me almost one year of MCAT prep. I would then take the upper-level Biology courses in the glide year. Or…
(2) Take the Organics (at the CC) and the upper-level Biology courses (at the 4-year university), then hit MCAT prep hard (at night only, because I still have to work) for about 4 to 6 weeks for a mid-July MCAT.
Option 1 will certainly give me more MCAT prep, while Option 2 might look better with the upper-level Biology course already completed, yet there will be less time for MCAT prep.
What are your views on the two options above?
Here are my GPA stats and other info:
• New Mexico Military Institute, 1988-1989, 30 hours: 3.35 GPA
• U.S. Air Force Academy, 1989-1993, 180 hours, engineering: 2.51 GPA
• UT Arlington, 2004-2005, 36 hours, political science: 3.87 GPA
• Texas A&M, 2005-2008, 18 masters hours, intl affairs certificate: 3.5 GPA
• Houston Community College, 2009-2010, 16 hours, med pre-reqs: GPA: 4.0
• I also have way too many W’s.
• I work about 50 to 55 hours a week.
• I plan to start volunteering at the local VA hospital in the summer.
• I will also start taking some vacation days to shadow beginning in the fall.
• I am 40 years old, single, with no children
After reviewing the info above, any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.
Best wishes to all in striving towards your goals!
Hello Fellow OPMs!