Pre req scheduling

Hello Everyone,

I am having a difficult time planning my future semesters. I am not sure now many of the science courses I should take together each semester. I also need to include at least one of my major courses per semester as well. It would be great if anyone can share their past or current semester schedule so I can see what is consider doable or unrealistic. Some people tell me to take no more than two sciences at a time but at the same time I know some students take more than two science courses together. I do not know how much I can handle since I just started taking my pre reqs. I still have the following pre reqs to take.

1. Organic Chem 1, 2

2. Physics 1, 2

3. Calculus 1, 2

4. Microbiology

5. Biochemistry

6. genetics, Cell biology, and any other optional sciences I can take to strengthen my application
  • etam_OMD Said:
Hello Everyone,

I am having a difficult time planning my future semesters. I am not sure now many of the science courses I should take together each semester. I also need to include at least one of my major courses per semester as well. It would be great if anyone can share their past or current semester schedule so I can see what is consider doable or unrealistic. Some people tell me to take no more than two sciences at a time but at the same time I know some students take more than two science courses together. I do not know how much I can handle since I just started taking my pre reqs. I still have the following pre reqs to take.

1) Organic Chem 1, 2

2) Physics 1, 2

3) Calculus 1, 2

4) Microbiology

5) Biochemistry

6) genetics, Cell biology, and any other optional sciences I can take to strengthen my application

How many and which courses to take depend greatly are your ability as a student (and the several skill sets that being a student encompasses) as well as the "costs" of time, money and resources that goes on in the rest of your life.

1) You appear to have taken general bio and general chem. how were those courses? did you feel confident with pace of lectures, studying outside class, prepping for exams, and taking tests? Give yourself a strong and realistic review of these student skill sets as the courses get harder.

2) Are you working? do you have a family? do you have a long commute? what other factors will take time and resources from you that you can not then use for school?

3) Organic chemistry is often considered the most difficult course as it has the most material thrown at you.

4) Are you good at Math and/or calculations-based courses. If not consider taking calculus and physics in separate terms.

those are my thoughts

As gonnif said, it very much depends on you, and your abilities/comfort level with the course material, as well as other life factors and what else you are trying to accomplish (i.e., are you working, volunteering, etc.).

I took more than 2 science courses at once last semester (and am doing the same this semester). I am finding it doable, but it’s a LOT of work. At least in the classes I’m taking, there aren’t a lot of assignments, per se, but you have to do a lot of reading/re-reading/practi ce problems on your own time to make the material stick, and to do well on the exams (which make up the majority of your grade).

One suggestion I would make is to avoid taking physics and orgo at the same time, if you can. I’m taking physics this year and orgo next year myself, and am very glad I’ve made my schedule this way … for the people I know who are taking both at the same time, they’re having a rough time keeping up since there is so much material in both classes, in addition to long lab write-ups. Just a thought.

Good luck!

If the course load did not matter to the admissions committee I would stick to two pre reqs per semester. However, I still want to look competitive and look like I can handle a heavy work load. I know for sure I won’t take physics and organic chem together. I do have a part time job which is mandatory for me, but other than that its’ the only thing that takes away time during the week. The only non science pre req I need to take is calculus and I don’t really know what other science pre reqs to take it with without having to feel overwhelmed because math isn’t my strongest subject.

Is there a reason you want to take calc 2? Would you consider stats instead (but still take calc 1)? I think that would make your life a little easier. Looking at that list you’re going to end up with hard classes together, it’s inevitable. You left off Bio 1&2 and Gen Chem 1&2 meaning you’ve probably been a student for a little while so at this point you probably have to see what your worth. At my school Biochem and Microbio are the two “really hard” upper level classes and Genetics “isn’t that bad.” I haven’t taken them hence the quotes. Physics really isn’t that bad if you can handle algebraic math like chem2. In fact, it’s a little more straight forward than chem2 in my humble opinion. Good luck.

• Matt1986 Said:
Is there a reason you want to take calc 2? Would you consider stats instead (but still take calc 1)? I think that would make your life a little easier. Looking at that list you're going to end up with hard classes together, it's inevitable. You left off Bio 1&2 and Gen Chem 1&2 meaning you've probably been a student for a little while so at this point you probably have to see what your worth. At my school Biochem and Microbio are the two "really hard" upper level classes and Genetics "isn't that bad." I haven't taken them hence the quotes. Physics really isn't that bad if you can handle algebraic math like chem2. In fact, it's a little more straight forward than chem2 in my humble opinion. Good luck.

The math prerequisite needs to be looked at carefully for several factors.

1) You don't need calc or calc based physics for the MCAT. However, some undergraduate schools require both those depending on your major.

2) Without having the current stats in front of me, I would say fully half of the medical schools REQUIRE at least 1 semester of Calc. Thus the rest of the math requirement (as stated by the previous poster) can be accomplished by statistics.

3) Many medical schools state or imply that that more rigorous courses are viewed more highly (NYU med school seems to have recently taken this statement off their website.) So does imply that Calc and Calc-based physics would be an advantage? It would seem so. HOWEVER, do no risk bad grades by taking harder pre-requisites for the above statement.

4) Many medical schools recommend (and a few specifically require) certain advanced courses such as biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, immunology, etc. Some will accept biochem in lieu of a second semester of organic chemistry.

(to find out which specific schools require what you need:

Link to MSAR (AAMC/AMCAS-MD)

OR

Link to CIB (AACOM/AACOMAS-DO)

the above factors may give you some ideas to consider in your decision making process.