Pre-reqs and a reasonable plan

Does it matter if I take some of my pre-reqs at CC and then the rest at a Uni? I need to take 2 semsters of bio as well as organic chem and physics. Is it ok to take the non-calculus physics? From my RN, I have chem 1 and chem 2 as well as A&P, micro, patho, inferential stat,and pharmacology. I have worked since 2004 in the medical and surgical cardiac ICU and 3 of those years were at Temple University Hospital. Now I work at a community hospital but still am in CT surgery. I love those kind of patients! My G.P.A is only at a 3 because when I first went to college I was too busy partying and when I finally went back I did well but it only brought my GPA to a 3. I am hoping if I do well at the pre-reqs, I will make it into to med school. Any opinions? Is 2011 a reasonable goal?

Autumn

Autumn,

I was wondering the same thing! I’m at a University in PA right now but their science courses are all “knock-out” courses. To preserve my GPA, I was considering taking all the requisite science courses at a CC. Hopefully some one gives advice soon, until then, good luck!

Melissa

By the way, (and I’m sure many of the regulars agree) I’ve recently been given the good advice that my goal should be in succeeding in my classes and maintaining my GPA, not rushing myself towards medical school by a certain time frame. Better to postpone med school a little longer in the interest of a stronger application and mastering the necessary skills learned in class.

This topic comes up VERY often…

“I was wondering the same thing! I’m at a University in PA right now but their science courses are all “knock-out” courses. To preserve my GPA, I was considering taking all the requisite science courses at a CC. Hopefully some one gives advice soon, until then, good luck!”

Boy, you hit the nail on the head and possibly gave the best explanation why you should do “big school” as much as you can!

The raison d’être for pre-requisites is to demonstrate excellence at a level rigor for success in med school (or to place yourself above the hundreds of others going for the same spot). I can share one solid fact, despite doing the “big school” 4 year prep, I can firmly break the myth, “the hardest part about medical school is getting in”. The hardest part is staying in…

The following link might be interesting:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

I know of TWO folks who did CC one in my class the other in the DO school across town…

“By the way, (and I’m sure many of the regulars agree) I’ve recently been given the good advice that my goal should be in succeeding in my classes and maintaining my GPA, not rushing myself towards medical school by a certain time frame. Better to postpone med school a little longer in the interest of a stronger application and mastering the necessary skills learned in class.”

BRAVO! Well said!

Don’t let any of this discourage you… get in there and get cracking… just be sure you start out on the right path

Richard