Premed Syndrome

Any advice on how to deal with this as a non trad?

Today I got a 25/30 on a quiz and felt slightly depressed. I’m putting the hours in in terms of studying, but just ran into a 5 point question that I got stuck on and ran out of time. The old me would have been ecstatic about getting a B on a quiz but now the added pressure of performing well to maintain any level of competitiveness in my app is starting to weigh down on me. Thank god this wasn’t a midterm.

relax. It is alright. Do not beat yourself up. It is 1 quiz.

Thanks gabelerman. Looks like I just need to figure out how to make sure I don’t die a little on the inside whenever I don’t get a perfect on something.

As George Carlin’s said: Don’t sweat the petty things, and don’t pet the sweaty things. Relax, you’ll be fine

I like the “pre-med” syndrome. I too am afflicted. This morning I turned in my first biology assignment. And ever since I’ve been thinking that I just know I didn’t get all the diseases caused by animals right…then he informs us that we have a 4 point quiz on Monday! And gives us another assignment which is a math calculation…it’s interesting but it’s killing me.

You know, it’s great to have the mindset to get good grades, but after a certain point I would argue (albeit from an economists’ point of view) that diminishing returns takes effect. For instance, if someone applies with a 3.7 GPA and someone else applies with a 3.9 GPA (assume the same MCAT score and comparable application), does it really matter? If one of them gets an interview, the other probably will if the rest of their applications are equally competitive…you just need a certain GPA to “make the cut” past the number cutoff and be in the running to get an interview. I think the numbers part of it only matters enough to get you an interview, because once you have one, you have to sell yourself and I don’t see how a 3.7 vs. a 3.9 would make that much of a difference.

So realistically, unless you’re doing damage control to make up for a past GPA that wasn’t so hot, I wouldn’t sweat too much over a few quizzes here and there that are less than 90% as long as you at least get an A- in the course. Past a certain point, it’s just wasted effort and it’s consuming time that you could have spent doing something else to help your application…be it volunteering, putting more time into another class you’re struggling in, etc.

I would consider my original GPA of 3.0 to not be so hot. Only because its a .5-.6 point difference lower than the average GPA’s of most of the schools I intend on applying to.

If anything, it’s the upward trend that I want to maintain. Even if I did like 100 hours of 4.0 coursework, my GPA only moves to a 3.3 at best.

It’s early in the quarter and midterms aren’t for another 2 weeks. I just need to keep my energy level up and make sure my studying momentum doesn’t decrease. I think a scantron test on Chem is actually going to be easier than the weekly written quizes that we get.

• HugzMonster Said:
I would consider my original GPA of 3.0 to not be so hot. Only because its a .5-.6 point difference lower than the average GPA's of most of the schools I intend on applying to.

If anything, it's the upward trend that I want to maintain. Even if I did like 100 hours of 4.0 coursework, my GPA only moves to a 3.3 at best.

It's early in the quarter and midterms aren't for another 2 weeks. I just need to keep my energy level up and make sure my studying momentum doesn't decrease. I think a scantron test on Chem is actually going to be easier than the weekly written quizes that we get.

Well, I agree, multiple choice is always easier than fill-in as far as questions go because the answer is staring you right in the face...you just have to recognize it instead of recall it from memory. If you're on the typical quarter system where they have 1-3 midterms and a final, then I would recommend putting most of your energy into those, because typically even when they do have quizzes, homework, etc. as part of your grade it's nothing as far as percentage goes compared to the midterms & final. And usually, those are multiple choice since scantrons are the only way they can efficiently grade so many exams without putting forth an enormous amount of time into grading (which most profs won't want to do).

Given your GPA and your estimate of what you could get it up to even with 100 hours of perfect grades, I have to ask are you dead set on allopathic or have you considered osteopathic? The only thing that's different are the initials after your name and AACOMAS is a lot more forgiving to applicants who have retaken courses and done better in them.

I, too, am running into the 3.0 area of quizzes. I realized that my studying isn’t effective. I now make notations as I read for key points. It is helping me remember what I read. I, fortunately, have professors that allow questions. Ask a good question, get extra credit. Two days in a row I have gotten extra credit for my questions/answers. 1 quiz won’t kill us, but, more than that and I do think that more than that and it’s trouble. So, see if you can improve the way you study. Let’s meet back here after our next set of quizzes, I will let you know if my strategy worked. At least the extra credit is allowing me to “buy” back my grade.

I also tried to enroll my professor in my educational/career goals. I asked him his recommendation for studying, he said, “Explain it to someone else. If they understand, then you know your stuff.” He doesn’t know anyone else’s name in the class, but, calls me Herr Doktor. Plus, (sorry to say it again), he’s throwing the extra credit my way.

• In reply to:

Given your GPA and your estimate of what you could get it up to even with 100 hours of perfect grades, I have to ask are you dead set on allopathic or have you considered osteopathic? The only thing that's different are the initials after your name and AACOMAS is a lot more forgiving to applicants who have retaken courses and done better in them.

I plan on applying broadly to both. This is my first (and hopefully only) go around at the prereqs so I don't have any bad science grades to retake. Hopefully my BCMP GPA can make up for my overall GPA.

I applied with a significantly worse UG gpa, Hugz; let’s just say that all my post-bacc coursework only brought it up to a 3.0 . Did just fine in my allopathic apps (only applied MD).

I can appreciate the concern over grades. I’m a fairly laid back guy, and even I felt it as I was going through my post-bacc work with a specific (and challenging) goal in mind. That said, don’t let it consume you. Do well - as well as you can - but don’t lose sleep over a point on a quiz here and there. Just give yourself a chance to show em what you’ve got. And don’t burn yourself out, or freak yourself out, in the process.

Thanks Adam. I know I’m looking ahead when I really need to be taking this week by week. There are bigger things to worry about than a quiz … like USC when they come to the Shoe next fall!

• Kimberly_h Said:
I, too, am running into the 3.0 area of quizzes. I realized that my studying isn't effective. I now make notations as I read for key points. It is helping me remember what I read. I, fortunately, have professors that allow questions. Ask a good question, get extra credit. Two days in a row I have gotten extra credit for my questions/answers. 1 quiz won't kill us, but, more than that and I do think that more than that and it's trouble. So, see if you can improve the way you study. Let's meet back here after our next set of quizzes, I will let you know if my strategy worked. At least the extra credit is allowing me to "buy" back my grade.

I also tried to enroll my professor in my educational/career goals. I asked him his recommendation for studying, he said, "Explain it to someone else. If they understand, then you know your stuff." He doesn't know anyone else's name in the class, but, calls me Herr Doktor. Plus, (sorry to say it again), he's throwing the extra credit my way.

Your professor is 100% right. I actually demonstrated mastery of some concepts in gen chem 2 by explaining them to a couple classmates in lab and helping them out. Wasn't doing it formally or anything, but if someone asks me nicely for information and I have it, screw it why not. See if you can find a couple classmates you click with who are interested in a study group and then try to lead the group; that may help.

For chem though, honestly, it's just rote memorization of the equations and then knowing how to manipulate them...lots of plug & chug math.

• HugzMonster Said:

I plan on applying broadly to both. This is my first (and hopefully only) go around at the prereqs so I don't have any bad science grades to retake. Hopefully my BCMP GPA can make up for my overall GPA.

Ok, well as long as you keep an open mind as far as that good I'm sure you'll be ok. Do well in all the science classes you take (all A's would be nice, but if you get a B here and there, don't worry!) and on the MCAT and I'm sure you'll have a good shot.

A friend used to tell me that “B” students live longer…but I’d always remind her that I’m an “A” student getting a “B” and that spells stroke.

• pballard Said:
A friend used to tell me that "B" students live longer...but I'd always remind her that I'm an "A" student getting a "B" and that spells stroke.

This is an offshoot of a conversation I had last night actually with my girlfriend. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that any sort of medical training, paramedic, doctor, etc. is going to take years off your life. I've probably already lost a couple years myself. *shrugs*

Sometimes you can't help but get a B because some professors are so horrible that they can't teach well enough for someone to get an A or they're so self-righteous they refuse to give out any A's.

I think it isn’t just a “pre-med” syndrome, I think your typical TYPE A personality would strive and obsess over any coursework or degree they were striving for.

However, with myself, this is a passion of mine. I want to do the best that I can do, I have never had difficulties getting A’s since it was not a stress for me.

I, in my opinion, equate it to the person that says “It’s not work, if you love what your doing”

That’s the approach that I take. Just my two cents.

• maddux31 Said:
I think it isn't just a "pre-med" syndrome, I think your typical TYPE A personality would strive and obsess over any coursework or degree they were striving for.

Yep - I have been this way since. . .preschool. Finally, with med school, my high GPA might pay off! If not, I'm just going to bring out my college honor cords and high school valedictorian medal and wear them around town. Otherwise I wasted a lot of life studying for A's when I could have been partying & getting B's and have my exact same life. . .

Yeah nope… SOOOO not a Type A.

I could care less originally what grades I got. I was in it for the experience and the fun. Now, though, I seriously want the A’s. The rest of my life I could care less about (except maybe the kids), so I’m still rather Type B in everything but grades.

kids, shmids.

Give them PB/J and TV and they are fine.

JK

Peanut allergies here. But, we’ve discovered Nutella…tree nut and chocolate…very nice substitute.

Oh, and I’ve been informed, webkinz trumps t.v. which means, we all fight over the computer now.