Premed with Young Children?

My 1st two years I spent from 8-5 at school and would study a few hours each night. Weekends would be spent studying in the morning and free time at night. Sun night was used to prepare for the week. I always had dinner and a movie with frinds on Friday (non med school) & Sat night was with med school friends.

3rd & 4th year were easier, in that you worked long shifts. There are no time restrictions, so they could keep you as long as they wanted. If you were doing an interview month (rotation at a potential residency spot), I spent every waking hour interacting with everyone, to show how dedicated I was. During my 3rd & 4th year and my entire residency I had step-kids (8, 10, 13). I felt like I missed out on alot of activities. That tends to happen when you are working 80 hours a week and would spent 30 hours at the hospital. I would go to as many activities as I could, but it was hard. I watched how torn my fellow residents were when they left their children at home/sitter. Most had family around that could help out. My husband at the time had a flexible schedule and we had a good babysitter. It is because of the hours, that I waited until 37 and my last year of residency to have my own baby.

In the end, you have to decide what you want and what is best for your family.

Just my $.02

Rachel

Dear Gabelerman, I just loved your post.

I’m still a pre-med student and my kids are 3 and 5. Managing time is a must, that’s challenging and yet rewarding.

The easiest part about medical school is getting in IMHO. The pressure is certainly still on during the four years as what you get grades wise and steps wise WILL in part determine which specialty you go into. The hours are LONG in residency intern year expect 80 hrs/week with mandated three days OFF in a four week block. You may get more days off if you are on outpatient medicine but during inpatient for the most part is three days off in the whole block. After you are done the hours will still be more than 40 and even if you go PT they will still be for sure more than 20 hrs/week which is what most folks think about PT. There are some specialties were you can have more time OFF like radiology. There are specialties that are more conducive to a better quality of life ROADE (rads/optho/anesthesia/de rm/ENT) to happiness. This path is HARD and LONG so think about all possibilities before you dive in.

Gabelerman, the information you shared is priceless. Thank you.

Awesome! Thank you.

Thank you so much for posting your experiences balancing med school and a family. I am currently still a pre-med (to to graduate with my bachelors degree in 2 years) but I have 3 boys (3,2, and newborn) and have been stressing about being able to have quality time with my family and not missing out on my kids entire childhood. The year that I would start medical school my older 2 will be in elementary school with the younger one going to day care for a year or so. Many people around me (not my husband, he is incredibly supportive) gave me the “your going into WHAT career” look when they found out I was pursuing a degree in medicine and it is nice to see that it is doable, to have a family, be there for them, and go to medical school. I don’t feel so crazy now. Thanks.

I don’t have any advice to offer but i’ll throw my hat in too. 39, two boys age 2 and 10 months, re-taking pre-reqs from my undergrad degree and looking to apply to schools for fall ‘13 matriculation. Thank you gabelerman for your post. That’s great advice to look at school just like any demanding full-time job. (congrats by the way on your upcoming graduation) Just like several others have written, my biggest concern is balancing family life and potentially missing out on some truly wonderful years in the boys’ lives. I’m also concerned about being able to handle the work load and thrive in med school and residency while attending to the needs of my family. I’ve had the luxury of a pretty relaxed work schedule since my 1st son was born and just love hanging out with them - even through the crying, sickness, temper-tantrums, etc. the good times balance out the bad ones. I’ll definitely miss it. Similar to deane9799, a special need of my eldest son is what inspired me to pursue medicine (specifically osteopathic medicine) at my age after giving up on it way back in ’94 (I was premed as an undergrad). My wife won’t need to work but we don’t have much of a support system with extended family. Having grown up in a family full of doctors, she is fully on board with me going to med school and ready for the commitment. It’s nice to read that there a several others out there struggling with similar issues and working through them. Helps relieve FUD. Thanks. Good luck to everyone.

I think about the effect that my journey has on my family every day… but ultimately, we are working on setting consistent schedules, staying focused, and being present in every moment.

Everything is temporary–and the attitude we have about what we’re doing goes a LONG way. I am very fortunate to have an encouraging, positive, supportive husband, and it’s been interesting to watch my daughters take their cue from daddy. They have all become my cheerleaders, which is wonderful.

I work full time. I’m away from about 7:30am-6pm, Mon-Fri. And my family is amazing…well adjusted…healthy…CLOSE. School won’t be that much different in terms of “away time.”

I guess it’s all about perspective. Just conquer one thing at a time, and involve your kids in every step that you can! They will be so proud of you!