Preparing for the MCAT during Post-Bacc

Hi everyone! I’m getting ready to start my post-bacc program this summer. It’s one of those year-long program where I will complete all the basic science pre-req. in one year. The program aims to have you suited with all you need to be ready to sit for the April MCAT - in my case, the April 2005 MCAT. The program does offer a once a week - MCAT preparation course taught by a graduated post-bacc (I believe). Has anyone done a one-year post-bacc or know someone who has? How does one go about preparing for the MCAT when learning the material simultaneously? I’ve heard some of who have done this way, say that they don’t really need to do a lot of reviewing bc the whole post-bacc year is in many ways the MCAT preparation. But I don’t know - that seems a little too risky and laissez faire for me. How would you handle this? I was thinking maybe after each course/or simultaneously with each course - reviewing/spending time on the course material like Exam Crackers or Princeton Review biology. That way I can test myself for the class but also pick up the relevant knowledge for the MCAT. Does this sound like a good or bad plan? Any particular reference you might suggest? Thanks!

Hi,
I wasn’t doing exactly what you are going to do but I did take the longer Kaplan sessions while learning the material at the same time in my undergrad classes. I took the Kaplan course that ran from Novemeber till mid April. It worked out well since my classes got a bit of a head start on teaching me the material.
I personally thought it helped with the material I was learning in class. Except for Physics because the Kaplan teacher was AWFUL and had no idea what they were doing.
I can only assume it will help you if you do both classes and review and prep for the MCAT at the same time. Repetition always helps. Good luck.

If your school offers MCAT prep throughout the year, I would definitely participate in it. I know, the concept seems odd when you are learning the material. But there is so much more to the MCAT than knowing stuff - it’s about how to integrate that knowledge into understanding passages that are NOT about any concepts you took in science classes. The MCAT is almost certainly unlike any other exam you’ve ever taken. The more prep you can get for it, the better… there is no substitute for lots of practice, and familiarity with the style of the exam is a HUGE help according to most folks who’ve taken it.

Thanks for the advice. Mary, is there anything you would recommend now in terms of gaining a familiarity now? Some people advise reading scientific journals like Nature, or American Scientific. Would you recommend something like this? I really want to arm myself with as much strength…I’m not a horrible test-taker, but I could be better.

I personally would not recommend reading magazines for test prep. I would recommend reading lots and lots of practice passages that have quizes at the end of them. That way you are reading BUT you are able to gadge how well you are reading by completing the tests afterwards. Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc all have practice quizzes and reading passages for you. Check out the local bookstore and you will find lots of things to help you prepare.
Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. Mary, is there anything you would recommend now in terms of gaining a familiarity now? Some people advise reading scientific journals like Nature, or American Scientific. Would you recommend something like this? I really want to arm myself with as much strength…I’m not a horrible test-taker, but I could be better.

Reading such magazines CAN be very helpful if you feel that your reading comprehension is ok but needs sharpening. (i.e. even though they’re science-oriented journals, you’re not reading them for the science per se but for the way science is written about in the articles) Honestly, I know you’re rarin’ to go and anxious to start, but I wouldn’t do anything special prior to the beginning of your program unless you are actually kind of a crummy test-taker who has a tough time ‘getting’ the meaning of written passages. In that case, spend some time reading critically - all different sorts of things, such as Discover magazine, editorials in The New York Times, Atlantic Monthly, etc. As you read, give careful thought as to what’s going on in the passage. Spend a few minutes identifying key ideas. Look up words you don’t know so that you can better understand the subtle nuances of the piece. Don’t bother with this if reading comprehension is a strong suit for you… if you “could be a better test-taker” simply because you’re impatient or need to read more carefully, you’ll have lots of time to work on those skills as you do MCAT prep, reading now isn’t really going to help with that sort of test prep stuff.

I did a one year post-bacc and took the MCAT that April. I agree that the classes I was taking were great prep for the material. But I took Kaplan to prepare me for how to take the test, which is very different from college exams. The hardest prep I did was for the verbal since I bombed it on the GRE when I was a senior in undergrad (mandatory at my school) and was terrified of that section. However, a lot of hard work and many, many practice passages later I did fine on it.
Don’t worry about the 3 weeks of material you may not have had in your post-bacc when you take the MCAT. By doing lots of practice passages, you will see a pattern to the important material that the MCAT tests.
Good luck,
Tara

I am glad someone asked this question about the MCAT prep during post bac! Anyway, I started my post bac last month, and am doing it a la carte (i.e., no formal program). I will be complete with the courses by next May,and will take the April 2005 MCAT. So when would be a good time to enroll in a Kaplan course, or order Examkrackers stuff? I was thinking that I should wait until January 05, but would it be okay to enroll in a prep course/or use ExamKrackers say,
NOW? So far, the only pre req class I’ve taken is trigonometry, and I will be done with Chemistry 1 and 2 by
mid-August. Can I start NOW??

I’ll be in the exact same situation…thanks for getting into the specific/concrete details…I’d like to know when I should start studying too and how that date is affected by taking post-bacc classes.

I’m doing pretty much the same thing, although I’ll be taking the MCAT this month (and if needed, next April as well). I haven’t taken Org Chem or all the biology yet.
I have been studying the EK books and CD’s since last December. I’d recommend getting the books (at least) now. I have found that they provide some degree of insight into the classes I’m taking now, and help me focus on the really important issues.
Since the EK books are a relatively new (5th edition was published in Nov-Dec last year) they probably won’t be changing for another year or more so it’s not like you’ll be studying old material. As far as the AO CD’s, those can certainly wait until later in the year. EK has a precise 10 week study program for the MCAT which seems pretty good, I just wish I had been able to follow it more closely (sold one house, bought another, 4 months with no good home in the mean time made it tough to study effectively).
BTW, while it pays to shop around, the best price and availability I was able to find on the EK materials was from walmart.com. YMMV. Good luck!

Quote:

I have been studying the EK books and CD’s since last December. I’d recommend getting the books (at least) now.

Hi R, thanks for the great tip. I have a question when you say you bought the books last December, you mean December of 2002 or December of 2003? You say to buy the books now, so maybe you mean December 2002? So you’ve been reviewing the EK books simultaneously as you takes classes in the corresponding subject matter for over a year before the MCAT? Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

I got them 12/2003. I got started a bit earlier than I perhaps should have, basically unless the MCAT angels decide that a week from tomorrow is my day (well, it is the day after my birthday) I’m taking this MCAT “for practice”.
However, I think that having some idea of what to pay particular attention to is a good idea, and so far it’s paying off.

Thanks for the advice…I’m going to start looking into them soon. Do you or does anyone else know affirmatively how often they update/come out with new editions?

Less often than yearly, so buying them now will probably be OK.
You can buy all the EK study guides in a single package, or buy them individually if you want to buy them when you are ready for a specific class.