Professional advisors: Worth the $$$$?

I have recently discovered some websites for professional pre-med advising consultants and personal statement services. I am just curious as to whether anyone has used these services, and whether or not you thought it was money well spent. What are the advantages to using a professional consultant/service?

Amy,
I don’t feel like I can answer your poll because I never officially used a professional advisor. However, I was fortunate enough to know some and got a lot of free advice. And let me tell you, it would have been worth paying for it!
Be sure while you’re at the conference in June to talk to Judy Colwell. She’s been part of OPM practically since the beginning, and she can give you an idea of what you might gain from a professional consultant!

Obviously I’m not going to vote on this issue , but some words of advice… If you are considering any professional consultant, talk with him/her. Ask tough questions. See how you relate. Ask about their background and experiences. Ask about their fees. Do your market research homework. (I’m amazed at how few people query me with any question about my background if they haven’t already seen my web page.) Hard issues may come up. Do you think you can talk with this person? An important part of a good consulting relationship is the ability to communicate honestly with each other. The bottom line is that you have to feel comfortable with your advisor, trust him/her, and feel that you are getting good advice.
Cheers,
Judy

Judy -
Thanks for your very sound advice. I HAVE looked at your web page and may be contacting you.
Amy

This is something I have been seriously considering as I get closer to graduation, but at what stage of the game should a professional advisor be contacted? After declaring academic clemecy, I have only built up 30 hours. Not trying to sound negative, but what would I gain now by using a professional advisor?

That’s a good question, Rhys. I have been wondering the same thing. Judy - any thoughts on that?
Thanks,
Amy

Hi there,
I will politely defer to Judy Colwell for the nuts and bolts of this business but in this days of competition for medical school admissions, a professional advisor may be just the edge that makes the difference between acceptance and non-acceptance.
For the non-traditional applicant: 1. You are going to potentially spend thousands of dollars on tuition for pre-medical classes. College tuition is increasing at an alarming rate even among state schools. Compared to the cost of tuition, a couple of hours with an professional admissions counselor may save you thousands of dollars in terms of helping you avoid the “pre-med” traps out there.
2. You are going to be sacrificing years of income to pursue medicine. If you are not potentially a viable candidate, better to find out at this point than find yourself unable to retire or support your family.
3. When I applied to medical school in 1997, there were very few non-traditional applicants. That is not the case in today’s environment. You need to be sure that you can market yourself to an admission’s committee in the most positive light. An objective advisor can often help you achieve this goal.
4.There are plenty of well-advised, well-qualified traditional applicants out there too. You need to have every possible edge to assure success. In times of uncertain economics, many people seek medicine as a “sure-thing” type of career.

Sure, you are just starting in this process. You need to make sure that you are on the right track. Any professional who is marketing their services should be able to give you plenty of information on why their services are worth the money. Ask them questions! Find out how they will be with you every step of the way from declaration of intent to pursue pre-medical studies to submitting your application.

The medical school application and preparation takes years and is a very long term process with plenty of uncertainty along the way. Having a paid, well-informed counselor can certainly be well-worth the money.
I consider myself very fortunate in that I was able to navigate the admissions process. “God protects fools and children”. Since I was not a child, I must have been a fool but seriously, do everything that you can to put the odds of acceptance in your favor.
Good luck!
Natalie

Quote:

This is something I have been seriously considering as I get closer to graduation, but at what stage of the game should a professional advisor be contacted? After declaring academic clemecy, I have only built up 30 hours. Not trying to sound negative, but what would I gain now by using a professional advisor?

First off, Happy Mother’s Day to all out there. It’s a bit late in the day…I’ve been spending Mother’s Day helping my daughter/son-in-law pack up their house for a move to Portland from Palo Alto. Fortunately Portland isn’t too far away. And, they plied me with brunch prior to work. That was nice. :-))
As far as your question…My preference is to meet with an applicant for an “assessment” session 1 1/2 years prior to application to med school. (E.g., September 2003 for someone applying for entering class 2006.) This meeting can make sure that an applicant really does want medicine (some discover that they don’t) and will also help make sure that all the “ducks are in order” for becoming a competitive applicant.
Cheers,
Judy
Cheers,
Judy