Question about old grades

Hi, new to the board but have been lurking for a week or so. Here is the story, back when i was 18-21 went to a uni and basically partied …so my gpa was like 2.0. looking at my transcripts it was a disgrace.I went the business route and was bored off my rocker. now years down the road, i found interest in technology and is currently doing well in the field of IT security. I have my associates and my BS degree in MIS. Currently I have a stable job but am very burned out. I really sit around all day and look at reports but get paid pretty well doing it. I need a change, i am pulling my hair out with boredom.

Question is…I have no science classes…will my old grades come back to haunt me? I had a couple of Fs…but my AA i had a 3.8 and my BS it was around 3.8 also. will those old classes like history, geology? affect my chances? I am 40 by the way.

You will have to include them in any applications you submit. If you go the DO route you could always grade replace, but I don’t know how much that would really help to replace grades in classes that aren’t really pertinent. What I have always heard and am banking on is that med-schools look at what you have done lately.

It really helps that you have no science classes because if you can get a 4.0 in all of them it will look good.

• BaileyPup Said:
You will have to include them in any applications you submit. If you go the DO route you could always grade replace, but I don't know how much that would really help to replace grades in classes that aren't really pertinent. What I have always heard and am banking on is that med-schools look at what you have done lately.

It really helps that you have no science classes because if you can get a 4.0 in all of them it will look good.

A few things to remember:

1) your old grades are in the past and spending too much energy and worry on how they may affect your chances in the future is an exercise in FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt). Inventory what you have and make a plan to where to go from there.

2) Both the MD and DO school applications have separate line item sections for post-bacc work as well as science GPA. So if you do well in new bio, chem, and physics courses, it will be very apparent in your GPA breakdown.