Question about radial keratotomy and reading.

I was wondering about r.k. and reading. I’d like to get the procedure, but I’m concerned that it would make reading and studying more difficult. I’m a bit older than a traditional student, but I’m not at the age yet to need bifocals.
Should I consider the procedure, or do the reading requirements and library time for the next 6-7 years weight against r.k.? That is, if I am expecting to do a lot of studying, can I still get the r.k. corrective procedure, or would that tend to make reading books more difficult?

Quote:

I was wondering about r.k. and reading. I’d like to get the procedure, but I’m concerned that it would make reading and studying more difficult. I’m a bit older than a traditional student, but I’m not at the age yet to need bifocals.

Should I consider the procedure, or do the reading requirements and library time for the next 6-7 years weight against r.k.? That is, if I am expecting to do a lot of studying, can I still get the r.k. corrective procedure, or would that tend to make reading books more difficult?

From my understanding the reason people start to have problems with reading is because the muscles of the eye get old and worn out. I had this surgery 6 years ago and was told that it would not affect my reading eyesight one way or another. Basically they said that although I’ll have 20/20 vision it’s likely that I’ll still need reading glasses some day. I’m 36 now, almost 37, and I don’t need them yet but I notice that I have to keep thinks a bit further away from my face when I read.

Best thing to do would be to go in for a consultation. They’ll answer any questions you might have.

Oh, and for the record, the money spent on the surgery was the best investment I’ve ever done!!!