Question on General Chemistry II and Organic ChemI

I would like to take these classes at the same time. looks like in most schools General Chem I and II are pre-reqs for Organic Chem-I. Unless I complete I can’t get into Organic Chem II or BioChem or Genetics or Cellular Biology. You get the picture. Does any one know if this is possible?
Thanks!

Well, if you are in Houston, Texas, (at least at UHV) you can be simultaneously enrolled in Bio II or Organic Chem II and Cellular Biology or Histology.
Are you trying to smush your timeframe for prereqs?
You may want to be careful combining an upper division course with a lower one. You may be mentally agile enough to do this, but I would get things mixed up.
I also know that you can take O-Chem 1 and physics at the same time because that’s what my lab partner is doing (He hasn’t taken chem II yet either).
Jeffc

In situations like these, I always go to the dapartment head. Explain your situation and your seriousness to do well in these classes. If you can convince them you can handle it you should be able to get a waiver. Just make sure you can handle it. These two classes are a lot of work, plus you have the labs.

I wouldn’t do it, but I did take o-chem with a guy who was simultaneously enrolled in gen-chem and o-chem --for I and II. He looked pretty haunted, and I don’t know how he did. But he did finish. You know yourself best, but gee, I’d rather be on fire.

Thank you very much. Before summer semester begins, I will talk to the ORGO I instructor and see what he says. I will try to buy the book for Chem II in advance and read ahead as I am not very busy this semester. I tend to do well under pressure than if I take it easy so it is worth trying. I am hoping that the fact that I have done the Inorganic chem and physics before during my undergrad engineering ( even though 18 years ago) will help me. I am repeating chem I and II & physics I and II because the old classes are too old (>5 years).

Hi, I’m just starting CHEM II and i find it to be drastically different from CHEM I in terms of conceptual understanding. I’ve spend hours reading and rereading the first chapter. To boot we’ve received no reading syllabus and the instructor seems to have the feeling of ‘we’ll just see how it goes’ week to week, although i do think she’ll be very willing to help if need be. On that note…having only a poorly taught algebra refresher for my math over the last year i’m concerned the math in this chem II may kill me. Can anyone comment on the math skill necessary to master CHEM II? Also, can anyone recommend any supplemental material (our text is Gen.CHem by Hill).
Last…do i absolutely need precalc to get through physics?
thanks so much…i had a lot of questions saved up.

Just commenting on precalc for physics - you will want to have a good grasp of trigonometry for physics (sine, cosine, tangent). If your algebra review didn’t help you with that, you might want to consider more math.
Good luck.

You’ll need basic algebra and a decent grasp of logarithms. My university library has an appropriate book on math for chemistry courses (and also some that have all sorts of things, like matrices and regression analysis, that you WON’T need for gen chem). Ask the reference librarian at your library to help you find an appropriate title. Don’t be shy about making an interlibrary loan request if your library doesn’t have what you need. You can take the book to whatever tutoring center your school has and get help if you need it.

Riannah
Your background looks a little like mine; I did complete a degree many many years ago, which included at the time Cal I & II, Gen. Chem I & II, and the 3 usual physics.
I am currently in the second semester ‘refreshing’ all of the basic sciencs; at the present time attending: Gen Chem II + lab, Elect. & Magnetism + lab, Cal II, and 1 elective (German Literature – 400 level course).
In a nutshell, I have my HandsFull! What a review. I cannot immagine tacking Orgo (or anything else for that matter) on top of this load.
I’m managing to keep ahead of my profs, and have a good grasp of what they present at lectures; and complete assignments ahead of time as well. With this load I’m ahead of the ball game. I have a definite sense that with a course such as Orgo I at the same time, I would not keep up. But, that’s just me!
Hope this helps!
Ron

Don’t you hate when people answer a question like yours with “it depends”. It depends.
If you are very strong in math, then you should be O.K. in physics depending upon your professor. If he is like mine and writes formulae at 6,000 words per minute and then jumps up and down, you may be in trouble if math is not something you have a good grasp of.
Non-engineering physics (the good kind, for pre-meds) doesn’t usually have a calculus component, so strong trig and Algebra skills should help you along nicely.
BTW, just so you won’t feel overloaded, I met a new student in my Bio II class today who is taking, (I’m not kidding)
Calc II, OChem I, Physics I, Linear Algebra and Biology II.
He is also older than me, which makes me think I can actually make it through my 3 (count’em) 3 - classes!!!
He is a Biomedical math major whatever that means. I think he is secretly insane, but doesn’t yet know it…

Jeffc

Quote:

Don’t you hate when people answer a question like yours with “it depends”. It depends.
If you are very strong in math, then you should be O.K. in physics depending upon your professor. If he is like mine and writes formulae at 6,000 words per minute and then jumps up and down, you may be in trouble if math is not something you have a good grasp of.
Non-engineering physics (the good kind, for pre-meds) doesn’t usually have a calculus component, so strong trig and Algebra skills should help you along nicely.
BTW, just so you won’t feel overloaded, I met a new student in my Bio II class today who is taking, (I’m not kidding)
Calc II, OChem I, Physics I, Linear Algebra and Biology II.
He is also older than me, which makes me think I can actually make it through my 3 (count’em) 3 - classes!!!
He is a Biomedical math major whatever that means. I think he is secretly insane, but doesn’t yet know it…

Jeffc

Wait until the end of the semester to see if he is still in the class and actually making it through all his classes before associating his insane schedule with the reality of being able to do the same. Of course, if he’s not holding down a job on top of those classes… who knows? He may be able to pull it off. Sounds crazy to me though.
Sam

My two cents is that I’d check with the professors and ask for a copy of their syllabi. I took Orgo I as my first class after a 10 year break in schooling. I really didn’t need much from Gen Chem…though I did take it 13 years earlier. And, I took Biochem I before Orgo II (due to a scheduling issue). However, I decided to wait off on Biochem II until I finish Orgo II this semester, because Biochem II at my school is highly Orgo II dependent.
Take care,
Catherine

Other things to consider…if Gen Chem is just a repeat for you (even if it was > 5 yrs ago, it is still a repeat and you have a general idea what you are getting yourself into. Orgo is…well, it is different. Nothing like Gen Chem. I personally hated Gen Chem (although I did well) because of all the number crunching (even though my math is strong). Organic is NOT about numbers and requires time, spatial ability and conceptual understanding. Oh yeah, and don’t forget the orgo motto…“be fast”.