Question on military scholarship

In a previous post it was brought up that a military scholarship could be obtained to pay for med school – and there was mention of getting a waiver for common ailments like asthma…what does a waiver mean – that you can have the scholarship and not be deployed if you have some sort of health ailment?

No, what the waiver means is that they will approve you to obtain the scholarship even if you do not meet physical standards. As I was discussing in the previous post, my friend is 41 years old and has had cancer in the past as well as asthma since childhood. She had to apply for a medical waiver in order to obtain the scholarship which was approved. People need to understand that serving in the Medical arena in the military is totally different from being a normal officer or enlisted person. You do not go to the same basic training or advanced training as they do. Instead there is a special type of training for those who obtained a direct commission through one of the healthcare fields (Dentists, Pods, DO’s, MD’s, Pharms, Vets, etc). There basic traning does involve some physical fitness exercises but its nothing like the basic training you are thinking of. Usually people attend this training the summer BEFORE they start medical school. The location of the training depends on which branch you accept the scholarship from. Included with the scholarship is a monthly stipend which is roughly $1,900 a month. They will also cover other expenses such as books, instruments, etc. You summers are spent with the military though but you are paid as a 2nd LT. When you graduate from Medical School you are immediately promoted to Captain. Its definitely a good program which I will be applying to once I get into Medical School. But please be advised, if you have no interest in serving your country or living a military life DO NOT apply to the program.

As for the question about deployment…YES you will be deployed but NOT during medical school or the summers during medical school. Once you graduate and finish residency you can be deployed anywhere the army/navy/airforce goes. Deployment is definitely a possibility so don’t forget that.

I am prior service and know a lot about the scholarship program. If anyone has questions please let me know. I would be happy to help.

1 Like

For the US Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP), a medical waiver is where the military disregards a normally disqualifying medical condition an applicant may have. (Along the same lines, there are also character waivers, psychological waivers, etc.) Medical waivers are not exemptions from certain types of duties or from certain duty stations that typical HPSP graduates are suppose to undertake. Obviously then, medical waivers will usually only be granted by the military if the military thinks the disqualifying medical condition is minor, controllable and won’t be a hindrance for the military or the potential HPSP graduate.

I agree with the to previous posters. Only pursue a military scholarship if you want to place the mission of the military above yourself. There is significant sacrifice involved, including financially and for your family.

I went to med school on an HPSP scholarship with the Air Force and was deferred for residency, meaning that I am attending a civilian residency, then will enter active duty when I graduate residency next June. Also, I received a medical waiver for asthma (mild intermittent).

I am looking forward to going back into the military. I have already been told by my specialty manager that I will be deploying to OEF or OIF (Afghanistan or Iraq) at some time in my first two years after residency. For me, that is not something to be upset about. It’s what I was trained to do (prior service Army Signal officer).

• tec Said:
I agree with the to previous posters. Only pursue a military scholarship if you want to place the mission of the military above yourself. There is significant sacrifice involved, including financially and for your family.

I went to med school on an HPSP scholarship with the Air Force and was deferred for residency, meaning that I am attending a civilian residency, then will enter active duty when I graduate residency next June. Also, I received a medical waiver for asthma (mild intermittent).

I am looking forward to going back into the military. I have already been told by my specialty manager that I will be deploying to OEF or OIF (Afghanistan or Iraq) at some time in my first two years after residency. For me, that is not something to be upset about. It's what I was trained to do (prior service Army Signal officer).

Thanks for serving our country! There is NOTHING more honorable than being an Officer and Physician. I salute you and hope to be there with you someday! :-)
  • SomeDaySomeWay Said:
  • tec Said:

I am looking forward to going back into the military. I have already been told by my specialty manager that I will be deploying to OEF or OIF (Afghanistan or Iraq) at some time in my first two years after residency. For me, that is not something to be upset about. It's what I was trained to do (prior service Army Signal officer).

Thanks for serving our country! There is NOTHING more honorable than being an Officer and Physician. I salute you and hope to be there with you someday! :-)

I can only echo SomeDaySomeWay. Thank you Tara! And Thank you to all our brave patriots! I, for one, definitely appreciate what you do!

Agreed with the others, Dr Cook. You military docs must be made of some seriously strong stuff to do what you do. Thanks to you and all of the other medical personnel who are working so hard to keep our soldiers alive.

Joining military is very attractive option form me, and not just because they pay for the education. Having said this – I still have few questions.

If one chooses a military scholarship, are there any restrictions imposed by given military branch regarding the specialization?

Does military dictates what should one do for the specialization? If yes, to what extend?