Question on taking summer courses

Hi guys,

so my first semester of Post-Bacc ended here at the end of April. It went quite well as I had 9 credits that included retaking of Bio 1, Physics 1, and the Bio lab. I made it with an overall GPA of 3.92 for the semester so was quite happy.

I didn’t want to waste any time and am already taking the Chem1 and Chem2 courses (total of 10 credits) here in the summer. The summer semester is divided into two sessions, each one 7 weeks long. So I have a crash course of Chem 1 (four days a week, including two days a week of the Labs) the first 7 weeks, and Chem 2 the second 7 weeks. I am also working full-time (trying to) Engineering during this period to pay the bills.

I am actually doing quite well in the first Chem course so far, however was surfing the web on medical school topics and just read in a few places that Medical Schools prefer most of the science prerequisites be taken during the regular fall and winter semesters, and don’t look as favoribly for summer courses. Is this really true?

Am I putting myself in a disadvantage by taking these courses in the summer? I thought it was quite good to take these 10 credits in the summer, as this would allow me to take Organic Chem I and II in the fall and winter semesters and hopefully the MCAT by next April or so. However after reading this I am not so sure. Does this ‘not taking science courses in the summer’ criteria only apply to undergrads, or also to the Post-baccs??

Any ideas or feedback?? Thank you!!

• skysurf Said:
Hi guys,

so my first semester of Post-Bacc ended here at the end of April. It went quite well as I had 9 credits that included retaking of Bio 1, Physics 1, and the Bio lab. I made it with an overall GPA of 3.92 for the semester so was quite happy.

I didn't want to waste any time and am already taking the Chem1 and Chem2 courses (total of 10 credits) here in the summer. The summer semester is divided into two sessions, each one 7 weeks long. So I have a crash course of Chem 1 (four days a week, including two days a week of the Labs) the first 7 weeks, and Chem 2 the second 7 weeks. I am also working full-time (trying to) Engineering during this period to pay the bills.

I am actually doing quite well in the first Chem course so far, however was surfing the web on medical school topics and just read in a few places that Medical Schools prefer most of the science prerequisites be taken during the regular fall and winter semesters, and don't look as favoribly for summer courses. Is this really true?

Am I putting myself in a disadvantage by taking these courses in the summer? I thought it was quite good to take these 10 credits in the summer, as this would allow me to take Organic Chem I and II in the fall and winter semesters and hopefully the MCAT by next April or so. However after reading this I am not so sure. Does this 'not taking science courses in the summer' criteria only apply to undergrads, or also to the Post-baccs??

Any ideas or feedback?? Thank you!!

Hi Skysurf,

No, I don't believe you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. There are many that take prereq courses over the summer. It is more important though that you do well because it will be a very intense 14 weeks you are facing, especially if you are also working fulltime.

Can I ask where you read this? From what I have read, when you are filling out your application whether it is for MD or DO, you are writing what classes and grades you are taking, not necessarily what semester you are taking them in. Also, if you can do well it may actually show that you are able to handle an intense class over short period...which is generally what medical school will do.

Good luck!

I don’t remember hearing anything about med schools not liking summer classes. Just that a lot of students tend to shy away from them due to their intensity and we all know that grades count and would be nervous to compromise grades.

Thanks for the response guys. I just read this regarding the summer courses on while surfing some websites on google of some universities (probaly a bad idea… :).) But I think I understand now they were likely referring to undergrad students who only take one course a semester and don’t consider the load to be rigorous enough.

Thanks again!!

I take courses in the summer all the time, I do this for several reasons, I tend to enjoy the condensed courses. I also take the block 1 and 2 courses during the regular semesters for the same reasons. I also take summer classes because I generally can’t go to school full time and at least if I go year round it makes up for some of that. I know they say people “look down” on those that can’t complete a “rigorous” class schedule and I’m trying to squeeze more in but there just isn’t always alot available in the way of night/internet courses that I can take! Sorry I got a little rambly with that one!!