Question regarding community college

12-12-07 01:03 PM - Post#2283

Hi everyone,

I am a 33years old (next month) and like all here, I have decided to become a doctor.

I am attending community college in Tampa right now and have a major concern!

I have read that many medical schools do not like it if prerec. have been taken at a community college. What you guys now about that?

Another questions, about volunteering,do you tell the Hospital or where you volunteer, that you do that because you preparing for med school. I mean is it not odd to say that because of our age?

Thanks for your responses.

I have couple of more questions that I will adresse soon.

Thank you all very much

Karolina,

The question of community college has been asked countless times on this forum, so I think your best option will be to use ‘search’ feature and find what has been said about that. General gist is though:

• 4-year university is better than CC

• many people started in CC, and then transferred to a 4-year university to take some upper level classes

• call the schools you’re especially interested in and ask what their opinion is; after all every applicant is unique

• MAKE SURE YOU’LL GET ALL A IN CC!

As for volunteering:

1. I don’t think it will look weired to admit that you’re going to med school at 33. you are not alone.

2. if some reason id does make you fee uncomfortable (but again, why do you care what other people think?!), you don’t have to give the med-school as the main reason for doing it; + there are lots of people at your age & older who volunteer.

Hope it helps and welcom to OPM!

Kasia
  • Karolina33 Said:
12-12-07 01:03 PM - Post#2283

Hi everyone,

I am a 33years old (next month) and like all here, I have decided to become a doctor.

I have read that many medical schools do not like it if prerec. have been taken at a community college. What you guys now about that?

Another questions, about volunteering,do you tell the Hospital or where you volunteer, that you do that because you preparing for med school. I mean is it not odd to say that because of our age?

Thanks for your responses.

I have couple of more questions that I will adresse soon.

Thank you all very much

Well, I do echo what Kasia mentions regarding the community college issue. If you are going to do your two years and transfer to a 4-year, taking the actual prereqs are usually part of the two year program (I attend MCC in B'ton) if you are going for a science major. Of course, once you get to the 4-year, do yourself a favor and take upper level classes. Are you looking at USF?

In regards to the volunteering in the hospital...do it because you do want more exposure to working in a hospital, but don't do it, just to check off a box for application purposes.

Kris
  • Karolina33 Said:

Hi. Since you're in Tampa, try taking your classes at USF. I'm going to a CC because the nearest university is about a 90-minute drive. I've been told by admission personnel at USF & UCF (not opened yet) that my coursework will not be considered as equal.

• Karolina33 Said:

When I started volunteering, I did tell them I was a pre-med. They were careful to assign me to ER and not to the gift shop.
  • AKN Said:
  • Karolina33 Said:

Hi. Since you're in Tampa, try taking your classes at USF. I'm going to a CC because the nearest university is about a 90-minute drive. I've been told by admission personnel at USF & UCF (not opened yet) that my coursework will not be considered as equal.

• Karolina33 Said:

When I started volunteering, I did tell them I was a pre-med. They were careful to assign me to ER and not to the gift shop.

Hi from Bradenton!

What disturbs me, AKN, about USF and UCF stating this is that the courses are the same...you can take CHM 2045 (Gen Chem I) at a community college or at the university...same course number...the difference is that at the CC you are in a lecture class of 48 or go to USF or UCF and be in a class of 300. Also, you are guaranteed to get a lab at the same time. USF has it where there may be only 72 (if that many) lab spots for organic chemistry while they have a huge lecture. What does this mean? The chance of getting into the lab during the same semester is slim to nil.

Now I do plan on going for a postbac study taking biochem, genetics, cell biology and physiology, and those can only be taken at the uni level. the Bio I/II, G. Chem I/II, O. Chem I/II and Physics I/II requirements should really be the minimum requirements and considering medical school is heavy science, taking more advanced sciences will make you more competitive as well as help more when you are taking the basic sciences during the two years of medical school.

Now off my soap box...

Kris