Question?

Just a question for anyone who had their first Kaplan session already. My course doesnt start until the 19th, is it safe to assume that they will contact me with the exact location, ie. the classroom where it is held. I know the time and place, just not the room. Im wondering if I should call them? Thanks
Tim

The location of my class changed and I got one phone message and two emails about it. But, to be on the safe side, I advise you to call your local center and confirm the location. I also had to call regarding my books, which were not shipped as expected perhaps because I signed up at a conference and my registration is kinda messed up. They’re a good organization generally but you need to stay on top of things sometimes.
I liked the first class. My diagnostic was about what I expected, and I’ve already watched the MCAT strategies lecture online. The online resources are pretty good and they work with my Linux system which is always a pleasant surprise.
Good luck!

Good thing I asked, I called them yesterday and they informed me that only 3 poeple have signed up for this class. If at least 3 more people dont sign up by next week it will be cancelled. So I may be going the examkrackers route. The only other option is to switch into another class that starts 2 months later and meets 3 days a week at a location that is an hour from my house. I just cant spend another 6 hours a week in the car. Who knows, maybe some people will sigh up last-minute.

formerartist,
if you end up singning up for the session that starts in January, I might be your buddy…I’m going to sign up for the session that starts on January 11th .
Kasia

you can also take the class online, if you have a reasonably good computer and connection. In fact I’m questioning the point of sitting in a classroom except for the fellowship and opportunities to form study groups. All the lectures are online, plus practice tests, and you get the same set of books I believe.

I was really hoping to get more out of the practice tests than anything else. Im sure the review classes will be helpful, but I was looking forward to the idea of taking the MCAT in April for the sixth time in a real test setting, not the first time. I know I can do practice tests on my own, but to be in a room by myself with a stopwatch just isnt the same as being in a room full of other students with a proctor timing. Its more mental than anything else. If it is cancelled I might try to work something out with them to let me take practice tests at another location for a hugely reduced price

Im still kind of hoping Ill get lucky and it wont be canclled.

FormerArtist,
(You’re not really a former artist, are you?) Kaptest.com has a facility where you can download the diags and input your responses to receive the complete scoring analysis. I would recommend checking out their stuff, and also look into Princeton Review if you haven’t already. Our own SameNewMe did smashingly well through home study with ExamKrackers so you might ask her for some tips as well.
We went through Kaplan’s computer-generated analysis of our diags in class (actually looked at some sample data) and I have to say it’s nicely done, breaks things out for you by topic and shows you precisely where your weaknesses were, and suggested chapters you should review. Subsequent reports will show you your trend patterns–improvements here, regressions there. Of course you can do all that on your own, if you have the time, but it’s nice to get it already done.
Our teacher is only a senior in college, but he’s very well spoken and I have to say he’s doing an excellent job so far. I had heard tales of not so great teachers out there; their main requirement to teach at Kaplan is to score 40 or higher, or so I have heard, but this fellow is very good and keeps people entertained as well with his droll humor.

Ill find out on Monday if my class is cancelled. If it is I think Im going to do their online course with the option to take the practice tests at the center thats an hour from my house. I think that will be almost as good and all in all not any less convenient. We’ll see on Monday.

Quote:

Ill find out on Monday if my class is cancelled. If it is I think Im going to do their online course with the option to take the practice tests at the center thats an hour from my house. I think that will be almost as good and all in all not any less convenient. We’ll see on Monday.

FA, I think that’s a wise decision. They try to simulate the MCAT right down to the proctoring and timing so that when test day comes, it will feel like old hat. Therefore having the opportunity to experience a proctored exam under realistic conditions may be of benefit to you.

Well my class was cancelled, I was one of two who signed up. I have decided to take the course online and I have the option to take as many as ten full length pracitce tests at the testing center. I think this will work out just fine. Im taking my diagnostic on Saturday.

Quote:

their main requirement to teach at Kaplan is to score 40 or higher, or so I have heard.

You’ve actually heard wrong. Kaplan requires all instructors to score in the 90th percentile on whatever tests they are teaching. On the MCAT, that works out to be approximately a 33, or 11 on each section. A 40+ on the MCAT is so astronomically high that there would be no way for the company to recruit enough MCAT teachers if they all had to score in that range. Most of the instructors will have scored in the 33-35 range. So if your instructor has a 40, he’s the exception, not the rule. I haven’t met ANY other instructors who have scored 40+ on the MCAT, and I started teaching for the company ten years ago.
Kaplan actually puts a lot of emphasis on a potential instructor’s ability to be comfortable in front of a group and to think well on his/her feet. Before I started teaching, I had to do a live audition, where I first presented a prepared talk, and then had five minutes to prepare an extemporaneous talk on a topic given to me by the tester. Nowadays, they also make new instructors undergo a month or two of mock teaching to help train them to teach better. Of course, some people are naturally better than others, and some people put more effort into becoming a good teacher than others, but the company does try to recruit people who are excellent teachers and not just brilliant standardized test-takers.