Questions on finding an advisor and MCAT

Hi -
I’ve been doing a lot of research on nontraditional medical students - several web sites suggested seeking out a premed advisor that has experience with older students. Has anyone here done that? Also, has anyone taken a formal MCAT prep course?

Quote:

Hi -
I’ve been doing a lot of research on nontraditional medical students - several web sites suggested seeking out a premed advisor that has experience with older students. Has anyone here done that? Also, has anyone taken a formal MCAT prep course?

I took the Kaplan prep course and thought it was well worth it. I think OPMers get a discount on the class, too!
As for an advisor, I just used the advisor at the university where I took my prereq’s (post bacc). She was an excellent resource. I also read a lot and used the forums to get info.
Theresa

Steph,
Go ahead and seek out a pre-med advisor, but be a skeptical customer. I would imagine that it would be tough to find an advisor that has actually had a lot of experience with older non-traditional premeds. They are just not that common,… yet. This site is probably your best resource in that regard. I’ve been around academia for a while, and advisors come in all colors. If you go back through some of the older threads on this site, you will hear both good and bad stories regarding advisors.
That being said, you could get lucky and find a really good one. Further, there will be some things you will most likely need your pre-med advisor for (e.g., LOR), therefore, establish a good relationship with the advisor, but if you have any questions, you will probably want to get feedback from this site.
Steve

Quote:

I’ve been doing a lot of research on nontraditional medical students - several web sites suggested seeking out a premed advisor that has experience with older students.

Most colleges/universities have pre-med advisors, some more experienced than others. Those who help their alums will have some non-traditional applicant experience. Most of these advisors area also very pressed for time if there are a number of students who are pre-med. There are a few of “us” out here who have been associated with a college/university and now consult as pre-med advisors. Some have more experience with non-traditional applicants than others. If you go the “not free” route (e.g. consultant rather than someone in a university pre-med advising office), be sure to do due diligence in checking out their credentials. Like anything else, “buyer beware.”
Happy Holidays!!
Judy