Quick Story...

Ok, so I started my new job down here in Mass (I was working in New Hampshire with Dave ) which was a great experience I might add, but back to the point, nursing here and nursing up there are almost two completely different things! Holy sh*t! They are really burned out or something. They treat their docs (interns) like they are the scum of the earth!
I finally said something to a few of the nurses, I’m sure I blackballed myself. As far as I am concerned nurses have a lot to offer interns, and they should openly and willingly share their knowledge not just for the interns ability to learn from it, but for the better good of the pt.
I’m not sure how all the other floors at Dartmouth Hitchcock were, but for the most part the floor I was on was pretty good. I consider myself as a part of a team… nurses, doctors (of all stages), PT’s, RT’s, etc. We are all supposed to be out for the better good of the pt, right? I am just really agitated that my experience in nursing thus far has kinda been not what I expected!
I know I’m not going to be happy as a nurse, and I am glad I have had so many replies to my CRNA vs. MD post, because I realize I’m not the only one, and I’m not imagining this “us vs them” phenomena. I feel almost frustrated with myself that I am a part of such a “eating their young” profession.
I love nursing, I do, I love my interaction with the pts, and what I do for them; but as for other nurses I have worked with, its more and more of an incentive to join a profession with comradeship, a profession I have dreamed of joining, the profession of medicine. I guess I’ve just had it with the attitudes in general.
I’ll be starting my pre reqs next fall for med school. I’ve just decided to take the plunge, in all reality if this is really what I want to do and what I have wanted to do for years, what do I have to lose? I am still soooo young, and to have the insight on what I want to do for the rest of my life is a rather rare thing, so whay not harness it?
I don’t want to look back at my life when I’m 90 and say shoulda, coulda, woulda… Instead I would like to say I grabbed life by the horns and gave it hell! Thanks everyone for the replies to my previous post. I am ALWAYS open for suggestions. The hard part is over, I’ve made the decision, now its just the next hard part I have to tackle.
Thanks Jen

Jen,
Welcome to OPM! So while at Dartmouth, did you actually work with our venerable founder, OMD?? Cool! I wish you good journey towards becoming a doc.
Kathy

Jen,
Good luck on your journey. Sorry about your negative experiences with other nurses. I have had the opportunity to work with excellent NPs,RNs, and MDs over the years. Of course, there are negatives in any profession, including medicine.
Shirl

Jenn,
Glad to see you’ve made a decision - feels like a large weight lifted from you when the decision is finally made. Personally, I am glad that you have chosen the physician route, but most importantly, you seem happy & relieved too.
Welcome to OPM! I officially declare you a NonTrad PreMed!
As always, feel free to drop me a line. I hope things improve for you in MA…where in MA are you by the way?

Thanks Dave
I really appreciate all the support, and you’re right, I feel the wight lifted…for sure. Things aren’t all that bad in Ma, its just seems that there are MORE people/nurses here with crochety attitudes? I am in Plainville Ma, and I work at Brigham and Womens in Boston, which is a great hospital, and from what I’m told a wonderful nursing hospital too. I think things will get better, maybe its just because I am the new guy? Who knows its only my 1st mo. and perhaps its just like an “initiation” phase? In any event, thanks~
~Jen

I’m not sure if this has any relation to your experience or not, but I’ve found the Boston area to be a little unfriendly in general. I’m from NH originally, lived just outside Boston (Somerville & Everett) for almost 4 years after college, and just bought a condo back up in NH (though I’m still commuting to Boston for my job). While I consider myself a fairly traditional crotchety Yankee (i.e., if it’s called tourist season, why can’t we shoot them ) I’ve noticed in the month or so that I’ve been living back north of the border that there is a distinct difference in attitude that I never paid much attention to before. I don’t know a lot about the Hanover area, but it seems that the way of life there is generally fairly relaxed and I’d assume that plays a large role in why people end up there. They’re looking for that kind of lifestyle and there just happens to be a terrific hospital up there. Boston seems to inspire a restless, frantic feeling in the people that live and work here. You can see it in the driving, in the stores, etc. I wonder if some of that attitude might spill over into the workplaces. We (meaning Bostonians, I’m a little stuck in between as you can see!) can also be a somewhat suspicious lot. You may have something about the initiation phase. Give the people you work with some time to get to know you and hopefully it will improve. And perhaps it’s just a situation of the job itself not being such a good fit; if that’s the case, you can at least take comfort in the fact that there are plenty of other opportunities with all the hospitals, etc. in the area, so you’re not stuck.
Good luck with classes. Where are you planning to take them?

You know…you are so right! I think it is the area in general. In NH it is very relaxed, and I think that alot of the stresses exhibited in my own facility, here in Boston, is for the most part avoidable. Everyone flipping out over this and that, rather than just going with the flow and trying to accomodate the changing course throughout the day.
I could name at least 10 separate incidences, (at least) that happened just today, if they happened up north it would have been treated as a challange to overcome. Here it was like everyone wanted to fill out incident reports, because the day didn’t go as they had planned it to that morning. Ugghh. I have just been adapting, and been trying not to be pulled in to the chaos.
My family is from boston, and I see the attitude in them as well. I guess its just the culture here. It makes for a very unhappy way of living the day, everyone being aggravated all day!
I have been told multiple times, “Wow you are so layed back, I would have been pissed if that happened” I promptly replied, “What good is it going to do me to get pissed, the issue has already occured, I cannot change it, and the best thing for me to do is problem solve, and work around it”. It really is the littlest of things that they get upset about.
I know when to advocate for my pt, and I can identify impedement in the care provided, but in reality, pts are going to go to tests, transport my be late picking up the pt, you may have to re-time abx, pharmacy may not have re-stocked the colace .
So what I say is; is it the end of the world? Better yet, is it worth my good health to be stressed out about it? Just deal! Ok my ranting is complete
I am hoping to start classes at Harvard extension in the fall 2005. I am really psyched about it. Nervous too. I am disappointed that this has been my experience with nursing. I have had some wonderful experiences with nurses, don’t get me wrong, but the neg out weighs the pos. Its been a huge incentive, and one of the deciding factors for me to press on a go to med school. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the feeling of not being the only one!
Thanks-Jen

I’m at Cambridge Health Alliance and in the week I’ve been here (i.e., I don’t know much), I find the vibe to be a lot different than at the big teaching hospitals. Might want to check it out. Also would be convenient for your Harvard Extension courses!
cheers
Joe

Maybe your attitude will rub off on your coworkers! I agree that it’s not worth getting all upset about things you can’t control or things that have already happened, just evaluate what needs to be done NOW and do it. But here in Boston, the culture is to rant and rave and gesticulate and hop up and down. Occasionally I get caught up in it myself (especially with this DNC affair coming up, don’t know why they can’t just meet in a corn field somewhere and leave us alone!) or sitting in traffic, but for the most part I’m much more go with the flow.
Too bad you’re not starting classes this year. There are a couple of us that I can think of off the top of my head (Lizard and ttraub, I believe, as well as myself) that are going to be at Harvard Extension this fall. Maybe we should have a Boston-area OPM get-together… seems like there are a lot of us here.

Quote:

Maybe we should have a Boston-area OPM get-together… seems like there are a lot of us here.

I AGREE! Let’s do it!

Quote:

Boston seems to inspire a restless, frantic feeling in the people that live and work here. You can see it in the driving, in the stores, etc. I wonder if some of that attitude might spill over into the workplaces.

I moved to Boston from Oklahoma, via St. Louis, and boy was it culture shock. After a few years however I realized that the people are no different from anywhere else, a bit gruffer and blunter than we midwesterners are used to perhaps, but underneath the gruffness is a genuineness and humor that I have come to really appreciate. Native Bostonians are the sweetest people, actually; it’s the imported trash like myself who think we need to act rude in order to fit in!
That said, hospitals seem to be worlds unto themselves. Has anyone worked in Midwestern/Southern hospitals as well as east coast big city hospitals? I’d be interested to learn what the cultural differences are, if any. Like, when you’re wheeled into the ER in an Oklahoma hospital will they say, “How’re ya doin’ today!” with a big friendly smile, and in Boston they’ll glare at you for disturbing their nap?

Count me in for a get together!!! I think it would be great.
~Jen

Get-together great idea… I am back from Maine at last.

Hello fellow OPMers…my name is Robert. I’m a Harvard Extension degree candidate (Bachelors of Liberal Arts) and a pre-medical student. If you would like to get a support group started, I’d be delighted to join as well. If anyone is new to Harvard, please drop me a line! I’m glad to answer any questions about this exceptional school I can.
Hope to hear from you soon,Robert