re-doing my starting over - again.

Hi Everyone, My name is Carl, and I’ve been lurking for the last week since I’ve found this site. I’ve ready virtually every page of the diaries, and have enjoyed watching people find both success and unfortunately some huge disappointments through this process.

Like many here I attended CC classes straight out of h.s. (15 years ago) I did ok, but averaged B’s & C’s. Then about 2 years ago I decided that I wanted to return to school and finish a 4 yr. degree and consider med school. My first semester was great. a 3.67 gpa. Then, the following 2 semesters grades tanked… my work demanded much more time during this recession, and home life with my spouse got complicated/difficult. I’ve taken the last year off to regroup, fix my work issues, and thankfully my wife and I have mostly sorted out our problems.

I’m now feeling ready to give it another go, but feel incredibly insecure about my abilities. I’m painfully aware that everything I do from here on out needs to be a perfect game. 4.0’s & good shadowing/volunteering experience. I already expect that I’ll have to retake some of my classes to help get the GPA (replacement) values where I want them for application. I already expect that I’ll likely be a better candidate for DO vs. MD schools because of that factor.

I’ve read stories of people who’ve made huge comebacks after failing first year med school, even twice, but I guess I’m looking for inspiration. I struggle with the thoughts that say if I’ve struggled with plain 'ol undergrad (not even the tough O-chem and physics classes) that I’m in for a rude awakening.

I also know that I can’t imagine doing something else without giving this a full intensity effort. I saw someones signature on these forums that says something like “don’t give up on those things which you can’t go a day thinking about.” That’s where I’m at. I’m reading everything I can get my hands on, doing tons of online research, and will soon be volunteering.

Thank you to all for reading through this and offering your thoughts. Thank you to those who’ve posted diaries - they’ve served as an inspiration to me.

Carl,

Welcome and thanks for introducing yourself! While the journey may be tough, it is not impossible. My suggestion would be to take it slowly at first and get your feet wet again. Consider taking a single class and see how that goes. As you have success, you can begin to add more classes until you’re to a level you feel will be looked at favorably by admissions committees.

I am probably reading more into your statement about D.O. vs. M.D. than I should be, but wanted to give a “shout out” to my D.O. colleagues and remind everyone that there is nothing inferior about being a D.O. Sometimes my fellow M.D.'s will say something negative, but it is rare and, IMHO, stems from their own feelings of uncertainness and/or inadequacy. :slight_smile: And patients rarely care what initials are behind the name.

Best wishes as you move forward. Remember to come back for inspiration. I look forward to reading more of your posts to follow how things are going.

I wasn’t implying anything about DO’s being inferior to MD’s. Quite the opposite, I’m attracted to the DO philosophy and would be quite satisfied as one.

Does anyone have advice regarding the grade replacement policies? Is it regarded as though you got your second grade first? Or is it seen as a red flag? I understand it will allow you to pass through the computerized minimum acceptance standards, but I’m concerned that the faculty behind scheduling interviews will see it and think “next.”

You are not alone!

Rule 1: take a breath

Rule 10: Beware of the FUD factor - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt

• Carl Raymond Said:

Does anyone have advice regarding the grade replacement policies? Is it regarded as though you got your second grade first? Or is it seen as a red flag? I understand it will allow you to pass through the computerized minimum acceptance standards, but I'm concerned that the faculty behind scheduling interviews will see it and think "next."

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

H. L. Mencken

Assume for the moment your suggestion it is a red flag for a lower original GPA and that adcoms members will pass on you. That implies it would be better NOT to retake any courses and have a lower GPA when applying, which means you are unlikely to be considered at all. That makes no sense. To accept this idea would be to accept defeat and give up a dream of medical school.

link to "SLAP! SLAP! SNAP OUT OF IT! "

Non-trads and traditional premeds do share one trait in common. They both over think the process and succumb to chronic neurosis creating barriers and challenges to themselves that exist more in their own minds they in the reality of the application process

Showing commitment, motivation and maturity to retake courses years later and improve GPA is one of the hallmarks of a successful non-trad. The Osteopathic schools have this mechanism in place and we can speculate that they do so because of they find value in students who take this route.

Thanks for the insight, you’re right. It wouldn’t exist if it didn’t hold value.