Realizing A Destiny

Greetings to all:

I apologize for the length of this post.

I’m 25 and I really do want to become a physician. Though going back to college can be very hard and expensive, it will pay off for me in the end. I am willing to sacrifice a few years and money to make an effort in bettering our world. I already make a difference but I want to make a different impact in my community. I’ve had this dream of becoming a doc since middle school but discouraging words, less finances and the worse basic science grades have landed me here. A college graduate still not doing what she wanted to do when she grew up.

My problem is my basic science grades. I’ve attempted to pass bio & chem., and didn’t! I know if I make up mind to succeed I will, but I don’t want a repeat of failure to comprehend or whatever it was that made me not be interest in general bio & chem. lecture(I got A’s and B’s in lab). If anyone has any suggestions please do chime in…

So, I’ve recently contacted a premed advisor, he said, I’ll have to retake bio & chem., and take the other basic sciences courses. But even, if I get all A’s this second time around my gpa will still be below average. Although my other applicant attributes can or will be at average or above. However, everybody knows that good grades are what get your foot in the door.

Now, I’m left wondering should I even take the chance and start this journey towards med school. I’ll have to pay for everything myself, which is basically a second bachelors degree just to meet minimum med school candidacy. This is the question I have: can I be a competitive candidate to really get into medical school with all my pass bad grades? and where should I start?

Thank you for reading this post.

• docsheart Said:

Now, I’m left wondering should I even take the chance and start this journey towards med school. I'll have to pay for everything myself, which is basically a second bachelors degree just to meet minimum med school candidacy. This is the question I have: can I be a competitive candidate to really get into medical school with all my pass bad grades? and where should I start?

hi there, welcome.

I think if you are truly dedicated and motivated to pursue your dream, you should definitely take the chance. Otherwise you'll find yourself, 10, 20 years down the road wondering "what if??"...not a great feeling I'd assume.

As far as those classes you will have to retake, one of the things that you will read on this site the most is that the journey to med school is not a race. Take care to complete your pre-reqs by pacing yourself wisely. Many ppl on this site have been (or still are) in similar predicaments, I'm sure you will find everyones advice helpful.

In my case, I'm nearing the end of my 2nd bachelors as well. I started out on the pre-med track a few years ago, panicked, switched majors, now I'm coming back to finish what I started. Like you, even if I ace every class my GPA will still be 'good' not 'great' - but that doesnt discourage me from trying.

As far as where you should start - start with retaking the classes that you need to retake, make sure you have your extra currics lined up, stay involved with your pre-med society on campus too.

good luck!

Hi docsheart,

Question I have for you is when you took those science classes, what was going on at that time? Where you having outside stressors that prevented you from doing well or did you have difficulty just mastering the material?

If it was the first, maybe retaking these classes are all that you need to do. One of the pluses for the DO programs is that there is grade replacement and your new classes will be versus an allopathic (MD) program that would probably average the grades.

If on the other hand, you had a real hard time getting through the biology and chemistry classes…you may only continue to have that unless you get some more outside assistance. While for prereqs you may only need to get through the yr of bio, general chem, organic chem and physics, in medical school you will be bombarded with science classes, all building on the foundation you set up in undergrad.

In this case, you may really need to consider what you can do or should do. Of course, this is something only you can decide.

Also, as putnam2800 already stated, this pursuit is not a race. If you’ve been looking on this forum for a while, you will see quite a few 30s, 40s,50s and maybe even older. So at 25, you might even be considered a nontraditional nontrad…

Best of luck,

Kris

Krisss’s reply is the more realistic, I believe. With respect to putnam, while I agree that determination and motivation are important, you absolutely MUST start with capability. OP, you need to have a very good understanding of what your difficulty was in those basic science classes… and it needs to be something that you can fix/overcome.

Your determination will help you to overcome those obstacles but it won’t be enough. Good luck to you as you begin this search.

Mary

well yes i agree as well that you have to figure out from the get-go where the problems areas are in those classes and nip em in the bud. When I replied I only quoted the last paragraph of docsheart’s post so I was unable to offer any advice on the rest since it wasn’t on my screen for me to reference accurately. Silly me … but yes, the most realistic approach is to figure out what the biggest challenge was in those classes and fix it early on.

There are so many factors inside and outside of the classroom that can alter how you function and perform in class. Personally, my mind is in a much different place than it was, say, 5-6 years ago. I’m not suggesting to wait five years until you change, but it’s just interesting to look back as the same person but with a different mindset. I’ve certainly learned from my shortcomings in the past and will approach my “second chance” with MUCH caution, being all-the-wiser too.

But as far as how to figure out what the issues were in those classes? I dont know how to speak to that… I’m not sure there is a formula… its just something you’ll have to assess within yourself. But then again, maybe there’s something I dont know yet? haha…

Do you feel that a science tutor would help him? If you are going to pay the money to do the classes, why not get the tutor as well? Not sure everyone’s take on tutors. I have heard of good one’s, and I have heard of bad ones.

Docsheart-Putnam said that they were a very different student then 5-6 years ago. That is the same experience I am having. I was an average HS student. At 32 yoa I am a stellar student. Most of us are like fine wine, we get better with age. I am glad I didn’t attempt college in my 20’s. I enjoyed traveling. Now I can commit to excellence. That is just my experience. I am with Mary, figure out what was going on in your life or learning that makes it hard to pass those sciences. This is a big one since you will NOT get away from science in Medical School. Best wishes and keep us in the loop.

Hello,

Thanks for your responses to my above post. Well, I am taking things slow so over the summer I enrolled in an Intro Chem. and I got an A’. I had to study a little it was fun. Now, I quite excited so I have planned to enroll in a Pre-med Post-bacc program this spring, thanks again for your comments and encouraging words.

Docsheart,

EXTRAORDINARILY happy for you! Congrats!!