Recommendation Letter from Employer-When You Own Your Own Business

I posted this on SDN also and got some good advice, anyone else want to give their experience/$.02…

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before…

A lot of DO schools will accept a LOR from your current employer in lieu of a current professor, understanding non-traditionals may have been out of school for a while (I graduated 12/2005). I own a small business with my mother and I think it has put me at a disadvantage not to have a LOR from my current employer (I will be re-applying for the 2009-2010 cycle), but I can’t really write one for myself or get one from my mother! Since the business has been part of my life for the last 8 years (I also finished school, continued my volunteer paramedic service, etc. over the last 8 years), I don’t want to ignore it like I did on my first application. I naively ignored it because it is not medically related, but now realize I should use it to my advantage. Would it be appropriate to get a letter from a business associate, someone who has used our services for years? How should I guide the potential LOR writer or what did your employer write about you? Thank you for your advice.

Th wisest approach is - as I will always state - if a school’s requirement seems confusing or you somehow do not fit well into their description, the best approach is to contact the program itself and ask them for clarification. I seriously doubt that your situation is so unique that they have never encountered it. And, I would certainly take the word of a program’s admission official over any advice found upon any website, including our own.

Great question…I just looked at an evaluation form for medical school and it has a slot on it that specify business associate.

However, I would suggest that you contact your school of choice and find out specifics…

Good luck…!