Recommendation on LORs

I recently sent in my secondary application for East Carolina University. It required the usual committee letter and allows for other LORs. I have one additional LOR already there, from a professor emeritus, surgery, of Duke University. I had put down two more letters to be sent, one from an episcopal priest and one from an ER physician who’s known me for about 8-10 years. However, my application won’t be looked at again until the latter 2 LORs are received. I know they haven’t been written yet, and I haven’t been able to get in touch with either person in the last week. Should I just remove their names from the LOR list so that my application can go forward? Is the one additional LOR enough? Or should I keep trying to get back in touch with the recommenders and hold up my app. another 1-2 weeks?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
–Alison

Unless you KNOW that these letters are going to testify that you walk on water and that the medical school would suffer such a blow to its reputation if it didn’t accept you that they would have to fold, I would withdraw their names from your LOR list. You’ve got your committee letter and one additional letter already. More letters are gravy – in all likelihood probably don’t make a big difference.
Mary

I had been told to not send LOR’s by clergy either for medical school or beyond…