Reformed Business Major

Hey All,

I’ve been reading around these forums after they were pointed out by my schools pre-med adviser and I have to say I am impressed/relieved. Here I thought I was weird for wanting to change to medicine after studying something else for 3 years.

Anyways to my situation… I will be graduating in December with a degree in accounting/minor political science. Lately I’ve had a change of heart on business as I don’t want to be a soulless drone of corporate America. Medicine has always been a great interest of mine, I just never had the confidence that I do now. My plan right now would have me finishing my pre-reqs in December of 2010 at the earliest. While doing this, I would apply to volunteer at a free clinic the med school I will apply to first operates to get clinical experience and hopefully LOR. The sciences have always been good to me so I’m confident about the classes and the mcat will be bearable with proper study. With my non-science background, hopefully good Bio,Chem,Physics GPA and decent MCAT scores, are my chances any worse off then anyone elses? I mainly worry because it looks like there will be a considerable amount of time between when I finish my pre-reqs and the beginning of the application process. I will know more when I meet with the adviser in a few days, but sense some of you have most likely gone through this before I was curious what advice you may have.

Thank you for reading all that, I hope at least some of it makes sense.

Hi Acct_to_MD,

I’m sorry to say I don’t really have any advise since I’m in somewhat of the same situation. I graduated last year with my accounting degree, started working as an accountant, and returned to grad school to work on a masters in taxation. I woke up one morning unhappy and wanted to return to the medical feild. I was a bio major before changing to business. Anyway I know it doesn’t help you much but I wanted to wish you luck. I hope it works out for you.

Hey Acct_to_MD,

I was actually headed to an accounting degree until I took a Human body class (a science required for my AA before heading to the uni to finish). That’s when everything changed and brought back the intense interest I had of learning anything to do with the human body and medicine.

Have you taken any of the prereqs? I don’t see how you can finish two years worth of prereqs in 1 year (you did say you are graduating in Dec 2009. I would strongly suggest not taking any prereqs over the summer, especially if it is the first of the series. It will not be the first time that you hear this, but this is not a race. You need to get more exposure in the medical field, shadow, volunteer, etc.

All I can say is to enjoy the ride…enjoy and get as much from your prereqs as you can. Also, be careful not to take the MCAT before you finish your prereqs if you can.

Good luck and welcome!

• Acct_to_MD Said:
Hey All,

I've been reading around these forums after they were pointed out by my schools pre-med adviser and I have to say I am impressed/relieved. Here I thought I was weird for wanting to change to medicine after studying something else for 3 years.

Anyways to my situation... I will be graduating in December with a degree in accounting/minor political science. Lately I've had a change of heart on business as I don't want to be a soulless drone of corporate America. Medicine has always been a great interest of mine, I just never had the confidence that I do now. My plan right now would have me finishing my pre-reqs in December of 2010 at the earliest. While doing this, I would apply to volunteer at a free clinic the med school I will apply to first operates to get clinical experience and hopefully LOR. The sciences have always been good to me so I'm confident about the classes and the mcat will be bearable with proper study. With my non-science background, hopefully good Bio,Chem,Physics GPA and decent MCAT scores, are my chances any worse off then anyone elses? I mainly worry because it looks like there will be a considerable amount of time between when I finish my pre-reqs and the beginning of the application process. I will know more when I meet with the adviser in a few days, but sense some of you have most likely gone through this before I was curious what advice you may have.

Thank you for reading all that, I hope at least some of it makes sense.

The only classes I would have trouble finishing would be the Chem series. Its 4 back to back semesters but I beleive I can take the first one in my last semester of undergrad. I defiantly understand what you are saying though, I want to do this so bad so I guess its worth doing right.

Wow hopefuldoc, its like looking in the mirror! After finishing my undergrad I was planning on going into a macc program for tax. Haha wow, a month ago I really thought I was alone and weird. How wrong I was! I love this forum.

• Acct_to_MD Said:
The only classes I would have trouble finishing would be the Chem series. Its 4 back to back semesters but I beleive I can take the first one in my last semester of undergrad. I defiantly understand what you are saying though, I want to do this so bad so I guess its worth doing right.

I think you mean, definitely, not defiantly .

Well, the idea isn't to rush through the process. yes, it will be 4 semesters when you consider one each for chem 1 through to organic chem II. I'm not sure what you mean by the summer, but I caution you not to take the first of the series in summer school. I'm not sure when you are planning on applying, but anything before summer 2011 for a 2012 start would be premature. Not only do you need to take and do well in your prereqs and MCAT, you'll need to get a lot more exposure to the medical field....most likely you will be questioned on why you are making this change.

Good luck to you!

welcome acct_to_md!

I have to strongly agree with krisss. pre-reqs are not a good idea over the summer, especially if you are just starting out. I’ve taken Orgo II over the summer but that was with Orgo I completed in the spring and Orgo II was the only class I was taking so i was able to focus on it fully.

Without summer, I suppose if you start this fall (assuming no retakes) you can finish up with the pre-reqs in the spring 2011. Not sure how that meshes with your timeline though…

Also, very good idea to get started on your med experience; volunteering, shadowing, research etc…

Its great that you are confident that you will do well with your GPA and MCAT but realize that those arent enough in this case. Coming from a nonscience background and being a non traditional student, I’m quite certain that there is much more weight to pull and more bases to cover.

Also, you say you “mainly worry about the considerable amount of time between when you finish you pre-reqs and when you apply.”

(Excuse me if I missed it in your post if you mentioned exactly how much time but,) I say take advantage of that time! Involve yourself in something that will benefit you, your experiences, and your application. Every moment should be made worth while.

Good luck!