Requirements and Advising Questions

Hi All,

Probably like many people I stumbled on this site during my premed requirement research and it has provided some useful insight. My concern is that I have many of the academic requirements, but I’ve been out of school for 4 years and could use the guidance offered by the post-bac programs. Currently, I’m looking into Harvard’s Health Career’s Program(HCP).

I’m pretty sure I have the gen chem requirements (taken a semester of gen chem and semester of inorganic 200-level), but judging from what people have said about the bio course at Harvard I feel like I need a refresher in chem. Would this be a good idea? If I want to get the sponsorship from HCP, I need to take 20 credits anyway. Other classes I need are orgo and bio.

I was thinking of cramming everything in this academic year, but that might wear me out and not sure if I can enroll in the classes since it’s so close to the start of school. I also contemplated taking one of the intro courses at a community college, but it seems programs don’t look to highly on this.

I just wanted to see what advice you guys can offer for me.

Thanks,

Rose

• RoseD Said:
Hi All,

Probably like many people I stumbled on this site during my premed requirement research and it has provided some useful insight. My concern is that I have many of the academic requirements, but I've been out of school for 4 years and could use the guidance offered by the post-bac programs. Currently, I'm looking into Harvard's Health Career's Program(HCP).

I'm pretty sure I have the gen chem requirements (taken a semester of gen chem and semester of inorganic 200-level), but judging from what people have said about the bio course at Harvard I feel like I need a refresher in chem. Would this be a good idea? If I want to get the sponsorship from HCP, I need to take 20 credits anyway. Other classes I need are orgo and bio.

I was thinking of cramming everything in this academic year, but that might wear me out and not sure if I can enroll in the classes since it's so close to the start of school. I also contemplated taking one of the intro courses at a community college, but it seems programs don't look to highly on this.

I just wanted to see what advice you guys can offer for me.

Thanks,

Rose

Rule 1: take a breath

Rule 4: Don’t Bite Off More Than You Can Chew

Rule 5: Do Not Risk Bad Grades By Taking Too Much

Rule 7: Learn To Be a Student

If you have been out of school for a while, taking too much while rusty on student skills is a risk. Taking too much while having family, job, is a risk. Jumping in with both feet to see how deep the water is a risk.

I always suggest to people who have been out of school for a bit to take a course or two and see how their student skill set is.