Research Presentation

I was very excited when my research at the Univ. of Missouri was finally published this month. And, so was the faculty here at WVSOM. They asked me to do a 15-20 minute research presentation, and yesterday, that’s just what I did. Two other students presented on their research, and then it was my turn. I think we all did a great job. But, boy was I nervous! Both the 1st and 2nd year classrooms were fairly full, with fellow students, and a whole bunch of teachers and doctors.
I was lucky. The doctor I worked for in Missouri had sent me a bunch of power point slides, and all I had to do was add a couple and edit a little, and I think I did a pretty good presentation.
Go ahead. . . ask me about “A Major B Cell Epitope Present on the Apoptotic but Not the Intact Form of the U1-70-kDa Ribonucleoprotein Autoantigen.” I love beginning my explanation with a comparison of a pizza and a dying cell.
Anyway, it all went pretty good. And the Dean sent me an email telling me that he was pleased and there will be mention of the presentation in any future Dean’s letters. I figure that can’t hurt!
But, I’m glad it’s over. I think I was still shaking for about an hour after it was done. . . the only problem with that being that I went directly into an anatomy test. Oh well, hopefully I passed!

Congratulations, Im sure you did a great job.

Linda, when you were at U of Missouri what was your position. Were you a student? I am also interested in research; although I would like to have a clinical practice also. I’ve always been interested in that, but since attending a scientific symposium on what my wife had -Fanconi’s Anemia (www.fanconi.org) I have thought about doing research while in medical school (maybe a MD/PhD). While on the subject - Do Osteopathic schools offer research opportunities? I know Allopathic schools are typically connected to larger Universities and therefore research, but most Osteopathic schools are stand alone. I know VCOM is on VA Tech’s campus, so that may be a choice - but I digress, I have a little bit of time before I am prepared to apply. Any information would be much appreciated.
Many thanks, Seth
p.s. Hope to see you in Colorado

Hi there,
Don’t worry about attending any medical school that is not part of a larger university. You may do research at the medical school level ( I saw some of the posters that professors from Linda’s WVSOM produced) or at the residency level. Any accredited medical school will provide you with the tools to do research. You may elect to do research during the summer between your first and second year or as an elective during your fourth year. I worked on several research projects all during my medical school career. My residency (General Surgery at University of Virginia) requires two years of research in addition, which makes this a seven year residency program.
While VCOM is located in Blacksburg near Va Tech, it is a private medical school that happens to be located in the Commonwealth of Virginia with a collabrative relationship with Va Tech. The state medical schools are VCU(formerly MCV of VCU located in Richmond and soon Fairfax), UVA(Charlottesville) and EVMS(Norfolk). Any medical school can provide research opportunities for medical students. Medical and dental students are also eligible for NIH and CDC summer research opportunities that provide solid experiences with a stipend for living expenses.
Natalie

Seth,
Like Nat said, there are usually research projects available at most med schools, D.O. or M.D., so don’t let the desire to do research stop you from applying to both.
As for me. . . when I first started working in the research lab, it was after my third year of undergrad work. Worked right through my senior year, and for a full year following that before coming here to WVSOM. I was fortunate enough to have a professor sitting on an approval committee for some grant money that had been applied for by the doctors I ended up working for, and he told me they had applied to do research on systemic lupus, which I just happen to have been diagnosed with a long time ago. So I approached them about working as a volunteer before the project even was announced. After one week as a volunteer, they decided they should pay me. I had worked for years in a medical laboratory, so most of the flunkie work (you know, washing lab supplies, mixing media, etc.) was something I already knew. And I learned fast how to do western blots, ELISAs, DNA transformation, conjugation, etc. So I was really lucky.
They were also wonderful letter of recommendation writers, so don’t hesitate to ask.
While not all med schools offer MD/PhD degrees, you can do research once you’re an MD or DO, regardless of the PhD status. . . . none of the doctors I worked with had done the MD/PhD route.
Best of luck in your future plans.

Linda,
Hi
Is there anywhere I could read your paper? It sounds interesting.
If not it’s ok… I was just curious
Johnny

Johnny,
Find a copy of the Jan. 1, 2004 Journal of Immunology at the medical school library. The article is the last one in the issue. I think it is page 708. The first author is Eric Greidinger, followed by 6 others, all doctors except for me.
Don’t let it throw you. It’s extremely technical, but if you’re into immunology, you can handle it. If not, it’s a great way to learn!