Residency and after

My wife and I are wondering, If I do a 3 year FP residency in lets, say Alaska, then would it be hard to accept a job in, South Carolina? Would the MD Lic just transfer? Thanx
Bill

Thats a great program they have in Ak - lots of rural FP stuff.
It shouldn’t be any harder than getting a license anywhere else. Just make certain that all the requirements a state you want to practice in are met, starting in med school. As long as the residency is approved you should be golden.

Quote:

My wife and I are wondering, If I do a 3 year FP residency in lets, say Alaska, then would it be hard to accept a job in, South Carolina? Would the MD Lic just transfer? Thanx
Bill

Hi there,
Medical liscenses do not automatically transfer from state to state. Every time you go from state to state, you have to pay a substantial fee plus get documents from your medical school, all states in which you held any kind of professional liscence, the site of your residency, NBME and background checks. Some states like Ohio (I just went through this) require you to submit documents to a central agency who does a preliminary clearance before they will allow you to submit documents to their state board. It takes months for everything to go through.
For all of those folks who had had brushes with the law for misdemeanors like possesion of weed or underaged drinking, you may not be able to get a DEA number or pass the background check in many states. Just another thing to think about before you invest thousands in a medical and pre-medical education that you can’t use.
Natalie
(Thank god, my clearances came through without a hitch)

Thanks Natalie, I’m an RN and couldn’t have a Lic with a felony record. I’ve always past background checks (thank God).
It sounds like if I want to practice in lets say Louisiana, then doing residency then practicing there may be the easiest.
( I have read the Lic requirements for the states I’m considering) Bill.

Quote:

Thanks Natalie, I’m an RN and couldn’t have a Lic with a felony record. I’ve always past background checks (thank God).
It sounds like if I want to practice in lets say Louisiana, then doing residency then practicing there may be the easiest.
( I have read the Lic requirements for the states I’m considering) Bill.

Hi there,
You can have a felony record and practice nursing in Va as long as you have served your time. The same does not apply to medicine as you would not be able to get a DEA number to write for Schedule IIs. Since nurses are in such demand, I guess the felony is OK as long as you have paid your debt to society.
Natalie

If any of you have had misdemeanors, for the above and forementioned infractions, you may be able to expunge your record for a fee. You can contact the courthouse (where the judgement was made) for more information.
Additionally, criminal background checks, by law, cannot go past 7 years for employment and 10 for government.
So, if you are dealing with that and still want to be a doctor (because you are totally different and more motivated than you were back then) then there is still hope. I strongly urge you to investigate your situation now, while you are still considering your path.
DRD

Hi there,
I had a misdemeanor that did show up on my criminal background check that was required by law. It occurred in 1971 when I was jailed in Moab, UT for not carring any I.D. and being black. I was a member of the Utah Symphony and was playing in town. I went for an late evening run and was picked up. It took a couple of hours to get my boss (Conductor Maurice Abravanel) because the orchestra was rehearsing at the time. Meanwhile, I was charged and jailed for about 6 hours. I paid the fine and left town with the orchestra. This showed up on my background check along with the time that I was arrested for throwing blood at the feet of a CIA recruiter who was on campus looking for a few good folks. This happened in 1974 when I was a student at Mary Washington College. (See, I was quite a criminal in my day.)
My residency director laughed at both of the charges. He was actually impressed. These days, I don’t have much time for getting arrested and I always run with I.D. Any Black female has to have I.D. at all times. I got stopped countless times in Charlottesville until the Albemarle Police and Charlottesville Police got to know me well.
Natalie

WTH did you do with the Utah Symphony Nat?
I met Maurice once when I was playing in Miami. He came to conduct the Fla Phil.