residency apps

Does anyone have any information on where one could find examples of personal statements for residency? I’ve been wrestling with this thing and we’re coming down to the wire now and I need to finish it. I really hate selling myself and have never been any good at it (alright, none of THOSE comments! dry.gif ). Any help would be appreciated.
I’ve also been asked to give some more information on how I’ve done things with med school and I’ll get to that soon, but first I have to get some more of this residency stuff done.
Later,
Kim

QUOTE (kiperez @ Aug 25 2003, 04:13 PM)
Does anyone have any information on where one could find examples of personal statements for residency? I've been wrestling with this thing and we're coming down to the wire now and I need to finish it. I really hate selling myself and have never been any good at it (alright, none of THOSE comments! <!--emo&<_dry.gif ). Any help would be appreciated.
I've also been asked to give some more information on how I've done things with med school and I'll get to that soon, but first I have to get some more of this residency stuff done.
Later,
Kim

Hi there,
The personal statement for ERAS is not a "sales pitch" but more of an explanation of why you have chosen a particular specialty. Your Deans letter and letters of support are your "sales pitch" so your personal statement has to be an explanation of why you are attracted to the specialty and how you are planning your career and how specialty so and so fits in with your plans. You might include an interesting patient or circumstance from medical school but don't go beyond one page.
Natalie cool.gif

Thanks, Natalie,
I'll try to keep that in mind and maybe refocus it into the manner in which I explain it to my friends and classmates when they ask me why this particular field.
Kim