Residency opportunity

Does anybody know where we can get information on how much residency on a specific field is given by each school?

To what degree does a post-bac program affect medical school admission - if the score is good? Does the reputation of the school matter in the evaluation?

• Nardos Said:
Does anybody know where we can get information on how much residency on a specific field is given by each school?

To what degree does a post-bac program affect medical school admission - if the score is good? Does the reputation of the school matter in the evaluation?

Nardos - I'm not sure what the first part of your post is asking about. If you are referring to how does what STATE you are a resident of affect your odds of getting into a various school, it varies from school to school. State supported schools typically give preference to residents of their states - some may only give a slight preference (say 60% of their class will come from in-state), some a significant preference (95% + of their class is in-state). As discussed in another thread, your chances of getting accepted to the University of North Dakota are pretty much non-existent unless you are a resident of North Dakota.

As far as post-bac program reputation affecting medical school admissions, yes it does matter some, but it's not the only factor. For example, student A has a lower GPA but attends a university that has notoriously rigorous grading standards but student B has a great GPA and attends a university known for grade inflation. The admissions committee will certainly take that into consideration along with other factors like LORs, MCATs, etc.

Don't base your decision on where to take post-bacc classes soley on reputation. While it is a factor, things like ability to schedule classes, quality of instruction, cost and location may be more important to you. (See lots of discussions on taking classes at a community college vs. taking them at a 4 year university).

I hope that answers your question.

Amy

Sorry I wasn’t clear. Actually I meant Hospital Residency opportunity.

A pretty comprehensive database of residency programs can be found here .

Most residency programs are affilited with medical schools, but not all. Not all medical schools offer residency programs in all fields.

Residency is pretty much separate from medical school. While in medical school, you decide what specialty you want to pursue, and then beginning of your fourth year you apply to residency programs much the same way as you applied to medical school. The difference being that when applying to medical school you get to choose what school to attend (assuming you get accepted to more than one), for residencies, your choice is limited. After interviewing at programs, you rank your top programs (how many you rank depends on how strong a candidate you are and how competitive of a specialty you want to go into). The residency programs also rank their candidates. After the rank lists are submitted, a computer matches people to residency programs. You are pretty much obligated to go to whatever program you matched at. (If you didn’t want to go there, you shouldn’t have ranked them). The statistics for matching for US allopathic graduates are pretty good.

I hope this is the type of information you were looking for.

As Amy said, residency programs are completely separate from med school programs. You do NOT choose a medical school, for example, because it has a great residency program in a specialty you’re interested in… first of all, just because the residency program is great, it doesn’t mean that you’ll have much exposure to it while a med student, and secondly, you cannot be certain that you are going to end up pursuing the specialty you THINK you’re interested in when you start.

Choose a medical school for its own merits and don’t even consider what residency programs are or are not attached to it.

Mary

Mary and Emergency - thank you for the clarification. That web site is real good and helped me to learn what I needed to know.