Residency Second Look Questions

I am preparing to second look a few of the neurology programs I am interested in and I have a couple of simple questions:
- Did you wear your student white coat or just some nice ward-worthy dress clothes?
- What did you do that day? The obvious one is go one rounds, but did anyone do anything or wish that they had done something that would have helped in their decision process?
Thanks,
Tara

Tara, I didn’t do it but observed others on their “second looks” so here’s my observations FWIW:
I saw both nice “ward-worthy” outfits (no white coat) and conventional med student (well, on the nice end of conventional!) + white coat on second look folks. Either seemed to look OK.
I don’t know what these folks did after rounds. It seemed like they went off with the most senior resident on the team, to do what I do not know. These were medicine teams.
My own thought is that the white coat shouldn’t be necessary - you’re not going to be involved in patient care, so won’t need it. I’d dress nice (but wear comfortable shoes!) and expect to talk to people, get a sense of what a typical day is like, and ask your questions based on what you’re able to observe from the teams interacting on rounds as well as what you already know about the program.
As far as how it helps you in being ranked, at the meeting where applicants are ranked, the fact that you did a second look will be looked on favorably. Whatever you say to your hosts that day (e.g. “I really like this progrma because…”) will certainly be noted and commented upon. If YOU want to spend more time talking to someone involved in the program, you can certainly request time during your second look day.
In other words, the day is what you make it. Have fun!
Mary

Hi Tara,
Carry your white coat but wear comfortable ward-type clothing. You do not need to dress up but you want to be able to be as comfortable as possible and participate in work rounds if necessary. If you can get a chance to sit in on grand rounds or teaching rounds, do so as you get an idea of the level of teaching.
Ask lots of questions of the residents and try to determine where you think you will fit in the best. You want to know anything that will help you project yourself into next year at that particular location.
This is also a good time to look at the resources (neurorads, ED department etc.) in your various locations. How difficult is it to get what you need for your patients? Is there a dedicated Neuro ICU for you critical care patients? etc.
Good luck!
Natalie