revisit of chronic medical problems

I just finished reading bzmom4’s post and her dealings with a-fib. Additionally, I am aware that there is also a member here who had a liver transplant - and others with chronic medical problems as well. My request for input here is more along the lines of how to address those issues with admissions committees assuming that you do have to explain your issues.
I left medical practice and am considering a return to training or schooling. At this time I am recovering from Neurosurgery and perhaps am facing a second procedure as well. It will likely appear on applications (since they make you account for all of your time since medical school), that I will have done NOTHING for over one year and perhaps close to 2 years! What is the best way (while also keeping my medical issues somewhat confidential) to address an absence and a desired return? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

[/QUOTE]
I don’t know that this article will help answer that question for you, CaliMD, but it lists 14 alternatives in practicing family medicine.
AAFP
Here’s the intro: Nearly three quarters of family physicians say they would choose the same career if they had it to do over, according to a recent survey by the AAFP. But a noticeable minority, 29 percent, were either neutral about their career choice or said they would not choose it again.1 If you happen to identify with that latter category, fear not. The opportunities for family physicians are endless, meaning you don’t have to feel stuck in your current career path. Maybe it’s time to transition out of direct patient care and work on, say, public policy. Or perhaps you just need to add some variety to your practice. If so, consider an alternative practice style.
wmkayak

QUOTE (CaliMD @ Sep 20 2003, 03:35 PM)
I just finished reading bzmom4's post and her dealings with a-fib. Additionally, I am aware that there is also a member here who had a liver transplant - and others with chronic medical problems as well. My request for input here is more along the lines of how to address those issues with admissions committees assuming that you do have to explain your issues.
I left medical practice and am considering a return to training or schooling. At this time I am recovering from Neurosurgery and perhaps am facing a second procedure as well. It will likely appear on applications (since they make you account for all of your time since medical school), that I will have done NOTHING for over one year and perhaps close to 2 years! What is the best way (while also keeping my medical issues somewhat confidential) to address an absence and a desired return? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Hi there,
You could sign up for a couple of Internet classes (I am thinking University of Phoenix) towards a Masters and say that you took some time off for educational reasons. With that, the subject of medical leave might not have to come up. There is nothing wrong with taking some time and exploring new paths if you have a little something to show for your time. You could even take something like marketing or financial management which would make you pretty attractive to a busy group practice that wanted a savvy managing partner or adminstrative partner. You know how much we docs hate the business aspect of medicine. smile.gif
Natalie

Hey thanks to you both, wmkayak and Natalie -
wmkayak- Mary Renard was also kind enough to refer me to the article you referenced as well! Thanks to you, too!
Natalie: Taking internet classes was a great suggestion! I never even thought of taking classes unless I was absolutely certain of the degree path I would want to pursue. In the medical world, the pursuit of education is always viewed favorably.
Yes, us docs dislike the business aspect of practice. I was always an employee, having practiced in So Cal where corporations ended up running most practices into the financial ground, especially toward the end of the 1990s (of significant note the MedPartners Provider Network which went into bankruptcy after state seizure!).
Thank you Natalie, for taking the time out of your endless surgery hours/days to respond to me smile.gif .