Richard's Rules for NON-TRAD success

Hi Richard, enjoyed reading all your posts. great advice ! what advice do you have for a freshman in undergrad ? first courses to take ? extra curriculars to build ? any other tips ? thanks !

For the very first semester pick out things you LIKE or know something about already so-called “easy” stuff. But then treat it seriously and use the first semester as your “train up” program for the “race” (harder stuff) to come (study skills, juggling things for study time etc.)

Bump! Information on this topic is too valuable to have it fall off the main page!

Thanks!

I seem to send this link as a “starting point” for anyone… with the offer of assist as they go through!

Richard

I love this post Richard. I read it every month or so. lol. I am second row, center, and my Psych teacher doesn’t know anyone’s names. However, I asked him how to study for his class effectively. That I wanted to go to Med School and it all counts. Now he calls me “Herr Doktor” in class and I get the extra credit points thrown my way. Thanks! I hope school is going well for you! I need to look around for any updates. Take care.

Richard,

How long have you been a “Doctor”? Is there anything you would have changed when you look back at your path to becoming a doctor?

Also, I insist that we get this stickied on the first page of the forums, so that new members will always see this. I have found it a wealth of information!

-Cheers

You know, random question but I wonder if someone took all their pre-reqs at a CC because its cheaper and probably better education and then just did a full-load of science classes at a university for one quarter/semester whether that would be sufficient to make the statement that they can handle science at “the university level”.

It would be a lot cheaper and the student would probably learn a hell of a lot more. Well, at least in California, we have a good CC system. I’m not sure about other states but it wouldn’t surprise me if other states’ CCs offered higher quality education than their universities.

Tim,

I agree with you on the quality of CC’s. But a lot of my university professors have been excepional thus far, but I think that university professors are more programmed to teach in masses, obviously due to the enormous class sizes compared to the cc’s.

• maddux31 Said:
Tim,

I agree with you on the quality of CC's. But a lot of my university professors have been excepional thus far, but I think that university professors are more programmed to teach in masses, obviously due to the enormous class sizes compared to the cc's.

Well, the problem I see is that they don't care about teaching, whether it be to the masses or the one student, they just care about their research and they're teaching because they have to. So far my experience is that lower division profs are horrendous whereas upper division profs are a higher caliber. We'll see if this quarter is just a fluke though and I just happened to get 3 good UD profs. I won't hold my breath.

Can this be made a sticky topic? A great first read for anyone embarking on the journey to become a Doctor.