Roll Call!!

I am Anu Ramdas. I have a MS in Biochemistry from India.

Currently doing pre-reqs at Penn State. Volunteering at a free clinic (4 hrs/week).

Planning on taking the MCAT in August 07.

• gabelerman Said:
There are a lot new faces out here. Please state your name if you like, your current status, what state you are in, and at what stage of the game are you in.

You may find out that there is an OPMer near you and you can get together and study or just relax. Heck, you may even end up a couple And if you get married, the rest of OPM will give you a tunnel of stethascopes to walk under

Hi All,

I decided to take a look and I did a search of nontraditional students working towards becoming doctors, and found this forum.

I'm 42, and I guess I'm wondering if I'll be at a disadvantage. For a while I had been looking towards going for nursing, because I enjoy working with people and I love the sciences. It's just that medicine in general is pulling me, not nursing.

I guess a big reason why I didn't do this earlier, I guess was fear and not feeling that much support from those closest. I realize that it is really up to me, but what do you all think?

Kris

Hi Kris:

I say, “go for it”! I’m 42 and retaking pre-reqs. As has been said before, if you search the forums you’ll find many stories about how, when and why we made the decision. I really appreciate this site and the folks who have taken the time to make it happen!

I’m 38, doing Chem II right now. I’m a masters-prepared critical care nurse who is finally doing what she always wanted to! I have three children, ages 6,4, and almost 3, a supportive ortho surgeon husband, and a lot of desire and alot of hope.

I’m in BC, Canada, so the academic route is a bit different here. I’ll be doing Orgo I and II next year, followed by MCAT summer 2008 and applications, then I must do a third year Biochem as a pre-req while waiting to hear if I’m accepted to start fall 2009.

Glad to be here!

Hi, I’m Christine. I live in the DC metropolitan area (in northern Virginia).

I’m still trying to figure out “the plan”. Based on my poor undergrad performance, I’m thinking of enrolling in a second bachelor’s degree program at a nearby university and going full-time, but am still wondering if I couldn’t do some things at a community college.

If I get things figured out, I would probably start in the fall.

Christine, there are folks who really don’t have a good alternative to CC but living in northern Virginia, you DO have a fairly inexpensive alternative at George Mason University. It’s been ten years since I was there so I am not familiar with how they’re running things now, but they have a good reputation. I would strongly discourage you from doing a CC route in this area. Your alternatives are much too good to pass up.

Mary

I’m one of the youngins.

28 yrs old. Married, no kids (not counting my cat and two dogs), I work in an emergency department as a scribe.

Currently working towards my bachelors in biology.

When will I take the MCAT? shrug

When will I apply? The plan is by age 31. That’s all I can say for sure.

Hi Guys, I’m in the same boat as a lot of you. I’m trying to decide now between DO & Ross/St. George.

Good luck guys!!

mdjd

I’m two months shy of 38. I’m a licensed midwife sans nursing degree who attends home births only. I went back to school in the fall primarily to work toward a graduate nurse-midwifery degree but then decided if I’m doing “all that work” why not be a doctor? Then if I’m a doctor I won’t be hearing about how much I don’t know since I’m “only” a midwife. I can’t believe I will write this, but after a while normal birth and low-risk can get boring. Everyone will now knock on wood for me. btw, I am not necessarily gunning for a future as an OB.

I did a couple of years at CC when I was a child (LOL) and thanks to an “academic renewal” (basically where they wipe your crap grades out based on recent performances and other education) I have a 3.0 combined with my current courses. Since I’ve only gotten started, I’ve done the basic Eng Comp class, am in basic algebra (boy a long way to go), am in Psych and A&P2 w/cadaver lab (plus the classes long ago: Spanish, sociology, philosophy, us gov’t., and a geo lab). I am hoping to enroll next fall at a SoCal uni and keep my ball rolling. Now that I have a better idea of where I am going, I am choosing my classes wisely.

–frectis–

My blog: FRECTIS