Saying Hi!

Quote:

… I was walking by the river and this time I was the one who was trying to catch up to someone ahead of me. I was asking the person ahead for advice regarding my difficult career choice. I wanted to give up on the whole idea and just settle. We were walking over rocks and so it was difficult to keep talking. I recall that the sun was setting and so the entire scene had a beautiful orange glow. Finally the person stopped and turned around and I saw that it was me, an older version of me! All I (she) said was “Hilda, stop being afraid. Stop being afraid of working hard and start doing what you know you love.” It was very strange because it’s the only time I’ve dreamt of myself in both the first and third person simultaneously.
I eventually took my own advice and now I’m officially pre-med. There are still doubts but it’s different now. I feel in control of my path regardless of where it leads.

That is a beautiful dream–and you were so wonderfully direct with yourself in the dream!
We all have doubts, and I like how you put it–it’s the question of whether you are following a path you chose, or a path of avoidance or least resistance.
warmly
Joe

Hi,
I’m right there with ya, making the decsion to take on this great endeavor is the strangest combination of excitement and fear I’ve ever experienced. I’ve always had this odd feeling of coming home whenever I’m in a hospital. I was the only child I knew who actually liked going to the doctor. I didn’t, however grow up with the outward notion of wanting to be a doc. Like Mary said, I think that it was something that was always there just waiting to be discovered when the time was right. I think I was afriad to admit to myself that I had this desire, because what if I failed to make it happen. Now, I can’t picture doing anything else! I say now, becoming a doctor is the dream I never allowed myself to dream. Not anymore! I’m out there giving it my best shot, because like you, I don’t want to regret not having tried years later.
Best of luck to you,
Stephanie

Hey Stephanie-

I can relate so much to the mixed bag of anticipation and fear. I wrote in my journal last night that I feel as if a piece of me has righted itself and I stand taller because of it. It’s the best feeling in the world.

I look forward to hearing from you as you move through this process and seeing the strides that you make.

Kate

I wanted to say hi as well
I am a 30 year old mother to 2 girls 9ages 2 and 6) and I have been in school for the last 1.5 years fulfilling all my BSN requirements and would be starting Nursing school this fall. I decided at the last min (well really it wasn’t a ‘last min’ type of thing since this is something I have wanted to do all my life) that I wanted to be a doc and have not looked back since. I am thrilled with my choice and I am enjoying the process along the way–I think you will too though it can be scary at times
Also make sure you check out www.mommd.com
I am getting my degree in Biology and a minor in Women’s Studies.
This is a great site and I have learned sooo much and have gotten great support as well!
MamaMD

Whoot- a Doors fan i have a “friend” on another board who’s sig line reads…I know some people don’t like the Doors - I wouldn’t say I trust them though…

MamaMd,
that is so funny! I also considered nursing. I actually did one semester at a CC of nursing and then decided that I wouldn’t really be happy unless I became a doc. It is great to see so many people following there dreams (some literally!)

I feel the same way when I’m in the hospital… patient or not… isn’t that strange… ?
an acquaintance of mine said the other day he was burned out… (he’s a Physical Therapist)… and I told him that he ought to go back into his element… that always seems to refresh me…
here’s to reminders!
Andrea

Hi and Welcome. I thought I was the only one who had a breakdown/epiphany like that! Well, there’s no looking back for either of us now.