School of D.O. question

Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions about the D.O. schools. I want to know how to average my grades to get my gpa for D.O. schools. I have a BS in management of information systems. I have classes that were taken twice. I also want to know if D.O. schools will accept my classes that I have taken online to make up my bad grades I took in person. None of those classes are my sciences. I will take that those classes in person. I have a lot of work to do. I am trying to bring my gpa of 2.5 high enough to apply and take my mcat. I am a 29 year old black female.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Happyn2009

• happyn2009 Said:
Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions about the D.O. schools. I want to know how to average my grades to get my gpa for D.O. schools. I have a BS in management of information systems. I have classes that were taken twice. I also want to know if D.O. schools will accept my classes that I have taken online to make up my bad grades I took in person. None of those classes are my sciences. I will take that those classes in person. I have a lot of work to do. I am trying to bring my gpa of 2.5 high enough to apply and take my mcat. I am a 29 year old black female.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Happyn2009

Hi,

If the online classes are on your college transcript and they have a grade listed, they should count. If you've retaken a class, only the last grade counts towards the GPA calculation.

Good luck!

Thank you for your answer. My cousin thinks that I should not worry about re-taking my classes because if I do well in all of my sciences, then my gpa will automatically raise. What do you think?

Happyn2009

• happyn2009 Said:
Thank you for your answer. My cousin thinks that I should not worry about re-taking my classes because if I do well in all of my sciences, then my gpa will automatically raise. What do you think?

Happyn2009

Doing well in the sciences is a great start. However, if you've got classes that you did really poorly in, it would raise your GPA faster to retake them (only for DO schools, though). The way AACOMAS calculates your GPA, if you've repeated a class, it only uses the latest grade.

For example, if you had an F in ECON I, then retook it and got an A, AACOMAS would calculate your overall GPA using only the A. Whereas if you take just science classes, they'll be averaged in along with the F.

You've just got to figure out what is the best use of your time, focusing solely on science classes or also doing GPA repair.

Hope this helped!

BTW, this advice does not apply to AMCAS (the allopathic application service), only AACOMAS.