School wants parents' financial info...but I'm 41

I just got an interview invite from Stanford, which is well-known for fantastic financial aid. Here’s the problem; they require parental financial info in order to make an award.
I left home at 18 and have supported myself ever since. My parents are divorced. My mother is retired; I don’t have a close relationship with my dad. It seems absolutely ridiculous for any of them to be expected to contribute to my education, and I don’t feel right about asking them to fill out financial aid forms for me.
With those limitations, I’m looking at losing any institutional financial aid and only getting federal loans.
Any suggestions, ideas, etc.? At this point I am thinking I shouldn’t even bother going to the interview, which is very disappointing. But I already have an acceptance to my state school and know I can afford that.

Have you talked with the financial aid office and let them know about your situation?

Quote:

I just got an interview invite from Stanford, which is well-known for fantastic financial aid. Here’s the problem; they require parental financial info in order to make an award.
I left home at 18 and have supported myself ever since. My parents are divorced. My mother is retired; I don’t have a close relationship with my dad. It seems absolutely ridiculous for any of them to be expected to contribute to my education, and I don’t feel right about asking them to fill out financial aid forms for me.
With those limitations, I’m looking at losing any institutional financial aid and only getting federal loans.
Any suggestions, ideas, etc.? At this point I am thinking I shouldn’t even bother going to the interview, which is very disappointing. But I already have an acceptance to my state school and know I can afford that.

Hi there,
I faced the same situation at Howard when they wanted my parent’s financial info. I filled out the forms as accurately as I could and got my awards. I was 46 and hadn’t been under my parents care at all. My father was in a nursing home and my mother was retired. They had no problems with this.
You can write your father and explain the situation. If he doesn’t comply with your requests, you can inform Stanford and see what their policy is. I have found from experience, that financial aid regulations are not “set in stone” if you make a 100% effort to comply with the information that they want.
I had a classmate who hadn’t had any contact with her father in 20 years. She didn’t even know where he lived. She was not denied scholarship award since she explained the situation. I am sure that Stanford has something in place that will not penalize you for having a father that is not involved in your life.
Good luck!
Natalie