Science GPA Freakout

I asked this question earlier, but need to ask it again, as I am super stressed about it, and I think my question is off the OPM radar.

It turns out my postbacc MCBP gpa is about 3.0. Big dip from my undergrad GPA of 3.8 and Masters gpa of 3.7. There are lots of reasons, but I think I chose an overly competitive school and am having a hard time competing along the curve (to get a B at Columbia takes more work than any A+ I ever before). I never worked well in highly competitive situations of any kind. I am working hard, but clearly can’t seem to compete in the big leagues. I was never a believer that Ivies were more difficult, but I now truly think they are - at least in the sciences. Or I should say, they tend to favor a very particular type of student, and teach in a way that assumes a very linear way of thinking.

Anyway, I am really worried. I am not sure I will get into any program. I still have four courses left to take. Any recommendations - should I just do them independently at a less competitive school? Or does gong to Columbia add some weight to my application? Or should I take a couple of extra bio classes with known easier professors (like a general physiology course) to boost my GPA?

I have heard that NYCOM accepts GPAs down to 2.75. But I worry that my grades make me look particularly unsuited to science - which is not true! I love what I am learning.

I plan to take the MCAT next summer. Need to decide in the next couple of weeks what to do. Any advice would be extremely welcome.

Thanks!

• Megsmed Said:
I asked this question earlier, but need to ask it again, as I am super stressed about it, and I think my question is off the OPM radar.

It turns out my postbacc MCBP gpa is about 3.0. Big dip from my undergrad GPA of 3.8 and Masters gpa of 3.7. There are lots of reasons, but I think I chose an overly competitive school and am having a hard time competing along the curve (to get a B at Columbia takes more work than any A+ I ever before). I never worked well in highly competitive situations of any kind. I am working hard, but clearly can't seem to compete in the big leagues. I was never a believer that Ivies were more difficult, but I now truly think they are - at least in the sciences. Or I should say, they tend to favor a very particular type of student, and teach in a way that assumes a very linear way of thinking.

Anyway, I am really worried. I am not sure I will get into any program. I still have four courses left to take. Any recommendations - should I just do them independently at a less competitive school? Or does gong to Columbia add some weight to my application? Or should I take a couple of extra bio classes with known easier professors (like a general physiology course) to boost my GPA?

I have heard that NYCOM accepts GPAs down to 2.75. But I worry that my grades make me look particularly unsuited to science - which is not true! I love what I am learning.

I plan to take the MCAT next summer. Need to decide in the next couple of weeks what to do. Any advice would be extremely welcome.

Thanks!

Rule 1: Take a Breath

Rule 10: Beware of FUD - Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Hey megs,

I will take a shot at answering this but this is speculation. The immediate issue is how would leaving columbia and taking classes at a different school make you appear to adcoms. Since you have already found the harsh competitive environment at columbia difficult to compete against, it is unlikely it will be any easier in next set of higher-level classes. You have trended down badly and you MUST show a trend up in order to have a shot at medical school. I think that you have no alternative but to seek out courses at a different school. You then have to show excellent work in them, and you must make a note of the unexpected and highly competitive nature of an columbia post-bacc in your PS. I think any ideas of sticking it out at columbia would doom your chances. Again, this solely opinion on my part given with not enough sleep and too much coffee.

BTW, I am "local" to you in NYC so if you want to discuss on phone or F2F, shoot me an email.

I think you need to probe and find out how successful Columbia post-baccs with similar grades as yourself have done in the past. Would you still be considered in the feeder pipeline for the linkage schools?

• gonnif Said:

I will take a shot at answering this but this is speculation. The immediate issue is how would leaving columbia and taking classes at a different school make you appear to adcoms. Since you have already found the harsh competitive environment at columbia difficult to compete against, it is unlikely it will be any easier in next set of higher-level classes. You have trended down badly and you MUST show a trend up in order to have a shot at medical school. I think that you have no alternative but to seek out courses at a different school. You then have to show excellent work in them, and you must make a note of the unexpected and highly competitive nature of an columbia post-bacc in your PS. I think any ideas of sticking it out at columbia would doom your chances. Again, this solely opinion on my part given with not enough sleep and too much coffee.

I think you're between the old rock and a hard place here. While trending down is bad, if I was on an ADCOM and read a PS that said "I left Columbia post-bacc because it was unexpectedly highly competitive", my first thought would be "what do you think med school is like?" I doubt any ADCOM member spends their days thinking the school they work for is easy. I personally think checking into feeder schools and taking some "easier" courses to boost your GPA would be your best bet in the long run, but I don't think any answer is going to be perfect.

I agree with Gonnif and Night god.

I think the ideal situation would be if you had some personal / work issue(s) that would give you a reason to withdraw (hence justify in your personal statement why you left Columbia and potentially why you struggled). Then I would wait a year (study for the MCAT during that time and take it - do really well!!!), then go to another school and knock those courses out of the park.

Just my thoughts.

Med schools do look at where you do your work, and how competitive the program is. As I think NightGod implied, you don’t want to say in a personal statement or interview that you couldn’t handle the work at Columbia. Med school will be a whole lot harder, I’m told, than anything you’ve experienced so far. Try to reassess what the problems are, and figure out a good way to get the trend line going upward. And it may mean taking classes somewhere else instead.

Cheers,

Judy

Check out page five of this link for AACOM’s 2010 Matriculant GPA data. If you can boost your science GPA you should be within the standard deviation of the mean science GPA. It doesn’t guarantee anything but it does mean there is a chance.

http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatric ulants/D…

Thanks for the comments! This really helps to get feedback. I will answer from bottom up - but more comments thoughts are very welcome!

2old4med (awesome pen name btw!)

• I think my overall GPA is not a problem. It’s just my science GPA and the significant gap from my overall GPA that scares me. I don’t think it conveys my work ethic.

Judith - Actually, I have a tutor at NYU who was in my program. He says that med school is actually less stressful and less pressure than the postbacc program, if you can believe it, though it requires a deeper understanding of the material (one reason why I struggle with my program - how well I understand the material is not really what I am being evaluated on I often think!) When I heard that I realized I probably underestimated what I needed to do to do well in this program from the start.

LJSimpson - I am really hesitant to take any time off classes. I need the physics for the MCAT anyway.

Gonnif. Nightgod and ihopetobeado - I think you all make valid points. I am going to need to consier and balance all of them and try to make a decision.

GONNIF - I am going to send you an email. Thanks! You are very nice to offer some local wisdom!!

Thanks everyone!!

I am doing my post-bacc at Hunter and have actually met 2 students here who left Columbia’s program for that reason. They said the program was just unnecessarily grueling and competitive, especially when balancing with work, family life, etc. Have you spoken with any of your advisers at Columbia about your situation?