Science GPA includes Math?!

So anyway, after taking a loong deep breath, I have decided to hold off until next year to apply… after much good advice from y’all. Next year, I feel I will be more competitive with volunteer exp, prereqs all done, and application submitted at the earliest day.
But anyway, I was looking at the science GPA on the aamc site – Math is included in the science GPA? Arg… my only D came in college in Calculus 4, and now that is going to be dinging me on my science GPA as well. Big time bummer
Anyway, for engineers and people in computer science like me that have had to take all of that calc… it just seems like that puts us at an unfair disadvantage when it comes to applying to Med School.
Thanks for letting me whine .

Hey, I feel ya. I was a math major… and not a terribly good one, either. If I could do it all over again I’d pick something I actually understood and not the major that didn’t have a thesis. Oh well…

Folks remember that science gpa aka BCPM is bio, chem, physics, math…

Yeah, I realized that it included Math today . It also includes some kind of odd classes (IMO) like Astronomy and Statistics.
Kind of an eye opener for me, I thought it was going to be all Bio, Chem, and Physics… and it isn’t.

science gpa does include math, what a bummer and killed my overall gpa!!
Kathy

Out of curiosity, what if you’ve taken math classes at a cc (intermediate algebra, trig, pre-calc) but will take calc I and stats at a 4 yr school?, which one gets factored in to the science gpa? Both or just from the 4 yr. school?
Jus’ wonderin’

From what I understand, it is classes any classes that are math… here is the link, you will find the “science classes” somewhere in the middle.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2005instructionbook.pdf

ALL math classes you have taken get factored into the science gpa!!
Kathy

A math class at a cc should still be a math class. I do not think AMCAS cares if it was pre-algebra or diff eqs.

Quote:

Anyway, for engineers and people in computer science like me that have had to take all of that calc… it just seems like that puts us at an unfair disadvantage when it comes to applying to Med School.

Nah. Don’t worry about this too much. You are not alone. Chem and physics majors also have to take lots of calc. Not to mention math majors. Bio majors, even though they can get away without calc, may have to take the dreaded botony. (Ok, maybe that one’s not as hard as calc, but… I think I’d rather take calc!)