Science GPA question

I know this may sound like a silly GPA question… But because I have an art school background, I thought I’d give it a go to see what you guys think.

So to obtain a B.A. in photography you only needed 8 credits of science. I took an intro to bio chem and an intro to chem class, both labs, both of which I have received a 4.0 in.

Are these grades, received from an art school, going to be looked at in my overall science GPA? I guess it’s weird to think that science classes from an art school would count hah.

If it is an accredited university/art school, they will not be disparaged.

If it is not an accredited institution, I would ask a local med school, for I truly don’t know.

Woo! It is. Thanks for letting me know adoc!

I should caveat that with:

if they are fairly recent as well

2006 and 2007, is that too far?

I would check either AMCAS or call a few med schools or check a few of the school sites for age on pre-reqs.

Definitively, I cannot answer that question and would not want to give you erroneous information.

It is really school dependent and that mught be changing. My physics credit is from 15 years ago and no one has said anything.

• Adoc2be Said:
I would check either AMCAS or call a few med schools or check a few of the school sites for age on pre-reqs.

Definitively, I cannot answer that question and would not want to give you erroneous information.

The definitive answer on age of pre-reqs is

Rule 3: It Depends

And that is a absolute maybe.

I will not go thru the derivations that I have come across of what will count then, but it is highly school specific and even then not necessarily adhered strictly.

More importantly, to the posters initial question,

Your science grades from the art school will count to towards science GPA; that is NOT age dependent

However, the classes themselves maybe too old or not at the right level (ie non-majors chem) to fulfill the prereqs requirements.

It’s always worth checking with individual med schools.

Cheers,

Judy

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will definitely check with schools Judy, I think that’s the best way to figure it out.

Like others have said, it does depend.

Where are you taking your post-bacc classes and do you have an advisor? There are certain classes at my university such as “Chemistry and Society” which do not count for medical school or for a degree in biology or chemistry but is just a gen Ed course for non-science majors to get easy science credit.

So, basically, I would ask your advisor as well. And if you don’t have an advisor, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting one. Mine has REALLY helped me out with classes, essays for summer programs amongst other things.

• In reply to:
Are these grades, received from an art school, going to be looked at in my overall science GPA?

Just a clarification: The original question above was would the GRADES count in the science GPA. The answer to that is "probably". I took an Intro to Anatomy course at a local CC when as a pre-req for paramedic school. Because the school listed it as a "Fire Science Technology" course, not a biology course, I listed it on my AMCAS as an "other". When AMCAS verified my application, they actually reclassified that grade as counting in the BCPM category.

Most people seem to be trying to answer the question of "Would these count as pre-req courses?" to which I think the answer is "probably not". It is highly unlikely that an Intro to Chem and Intro to Bio course offered at an art school would be the same as the pre-med bio and chem. Thus, the age of those courses doesn't matter. The OP is going to (most likely) have to take an entire year of general chem and general bio.

Thanks emergency,

I definitely want to retake chem and bio to get a solid foundation for everything to come, so no worries there!