Screening by section numbers

Every admissions person I ask about the new MCAT and what schools are looking for gives a complete non-answer, usually along the lines of “we’ll see!” But their “we’ll see” could well be my “oops, didn’t get in anywhere.” I have 2 sections scores I’m worried about and that I fear could get me automatically screened out.

Has anyone talked to an admissions person who has given concrete advice on a solid MCAT score? Not a test prep rep, not other students, not rumors (I have all of that) but actual info from someone in the know? I’m torturing myself over whether to retake.

Personally, I’d retake if ALL my scores aren’t above the average score on the new MCAT. So with the average being ~125, I’d be shooting for at lleast that on each section.

This new MCAT and all the questions surrounding it, was a factor in why I’m applying next summer instead of this summer.

@Doc201X wrote:

Personally, I’d retake if ALL my scores aren’t above the average score on the new MCAT. So with the average being ~125, I’d be shooting for at lleast that on each section.

This new MCAT and all the questions surrounding it, was a factor in why I’m applying next summer instead of this summer.

I don’t know anything about the new MCAT as I took it before the change, but FWIW…on the old MCAT the average score was 25…average of accepted students was in the 30-31 range. So you probably want at least half an SD above average to be considered solid.

Agreed. I’m just not comfortable with some section scores, even though my overall score was OK. Retaking in a month, and I’ve been studying (hence the no replies) with a particular focus on shoring up my strategy to attack the passages in a different way this time around.

@Prodigal wrote:

I don’t know anything about the new MCAT as I took it before the change, but FWIW…on the old MCAT the average score was 25…average of accepted students was in the 30-31 range. So you probably want at least half an SD above average to be considered solid.

The last time that MCAT changed (yes, I’m that old, LOL), getting at the least average didn’t keep people out of med school because no one really knew what to expect on the exam. Obviously the better the score the better overall for the applicant, assuming the rest of the app is good too.