Second bachelor's degree versus post-bacc

I recently started taking general chemistry in preparation to entering a formal premedical post-bacc program. The faculty advisor of the program to which I was accepted suggested that I take general chemistry at a local state college as a test of whether I could handle the basic sciences in the post-bacc college (a separate university from the state college). The advisor did not want me to waste money if I could not acheive top-notch grades. I aced this course, but I still have to ace a math class, before the post-bacc will accept me.
Last week, however, the dean of sciences at the state college suggested I apply for a second bachelor’s degree. He said my extension undergraduate coursework would satisfy all the general education requirements, so I would need perhaps two to two-and-half years of sciences as a chemistry or biology major.
This time frame seemed like a long-time to complete premed requirements, but I realize now that it would take me almost as long to complete both general premeds courses in the post-bacc and to take advanced courses, such as genetics, virology, embryology, etc.
Are there any repercussions of getting a second bachelor’s degree? Am I wasting my time? Will AdComms look down upon a second degree as a sign that I am not progressing? Would a graduate-level post-bacc be better in this case?

What was the dean’s reasoning for getting a second BA as opposed to simply taking the four core prerequisites?

hey, this is what I’m doing right now. I’m enrolled as a full-time, degree seeking student (B.S in Biology). I figured out that it’s going to take me 2 years to do the prereqs any way…I put my schedule together, however, in such a way, that I’m going to be done with my prereqs before I can graduate with the 2nd degree. If I’ll get accepted to a med school before I graduate, that’s fine - I’ll never get my B.S. If I don’t get accepted however the first time I apply I’ll get my biology degree and see what next…I’ll try to apply again…but with this degree (I’m also considering biochemistry) I’ll be able to do something I reallly like and enjoy while waiting.
It was my way of thinking. So if you have time and money, I don’t see a reason why you cannot do it.

Thanks for your reply.
The dean’s reasoning was that being a fully-enrolled student, rather than an extension student, would allow me to have access to same classes, programs, committees (premedical/letters of recommendation) that regularly-enrolled students can access. It would also lower my tuition fees. As it stands now, I have lowest priority when registering in classes, and pay the higher fees. I recently contacted a friend who, to my pleasant surprise, is doing exactly this – getting a second bachelors in order to go to medical school – at another state university. My friend loves her program.
On the other hand, I am concerned that if I do enroll in a second bachelor’s degree but do not finish this degree, AdComms will judge me flakey or uncommitted to finishing things – a bad sign for a prospective medical student, perhaps? On the other hand, having a bio-related degree would complement by social science undergrad degree nicely, perhaps making me more well-rounded?

My thinking is that if you apply before you graduate, and get accepted, you don’t have to worry about not finishing the second degree, because you’ll be in. So I don’t think this will be an issue. And you’re right about enrolling priority + other benefits of being a full-time, degree seeking student…it works the same at my school
I hope everything will work out for you.

I am also taking my prereqs and decided for the 2nd B.S. in biology. I figured the adcoms want to know what I will do if I don’t get in, this way I can at least tell them I could pursue an advanced degree in biology or continue my current career. I think the B.S. keeps options open, whereas the post-bacc tries to prepare you only for med school, but there are no guarantees.

I think AdComs could judge you uncommitted or flakey if you don’t finish an advanced degree, but a second bachelor’s - nah. They don’t care. Just take the classes, enjoy the benefits of being a degree-seeking student, and keep up the good work!
Mary

In concur with Mary on this. I am at a state school that has a strict limit of on number of credits per term and the number of total credits that a non-degree student can take so I am forced to eventually declare a second degree.

Quote:

I think AdComs could judge you uncommitted or flakey if you don’t finish an advanced degree, but a second bachelor’s - nah. They don’t care. Just take the classes, enjoy the benefits of being a degree-seeking student, and keep up the good work!

Mary

Here’s to hoping they don’t! I left my PhD program to pursue medicine