Second Bachelors ?

I’m 22 and only a year out of university, with a B.A. in English, ~3.7 GPA. I’m a member of a few honors societies and have a solid background in service. I consistently succeed on standardized tests.

HOWEVER, I know I could have gotten a 3.9-4.0 if I had applied myself more in college. Of course, I didn’t know about these latent dreams…ugh.

So, I figure If I’m going to commit myself to medicine, I may as well reach the limits of my potential. In order to be competitive for the MOST prestigious medical schools, would it behoove me to just start over and complete a second degree, as a premedical student? I like the idea of taking my time to know my professors, getting a little more structure, and (honestly) returning to college, an environment I feel secure in.

I’m completing my degree/prerequisites at a renowned state university. I’d like to do this right and be competitive for Ivies. Should I enroll in a 2nd Bachelors program?

Hi,

I don’t think a 2nd bachelor’s is worth it, at least not in my opinion (but seek the advice of others, I’m no expert!).

I think you’d be better off taking the pre-med requirements, kicking butt in those, and then in addition taking some upper-division science courses as well (biochem, microbio, etc.) to show you can handle those sorts of rigorous science courses. Also, you don’t need to do a 2nd bachelor’s to develop good relationships with your professors. That just takes time. And if it’s structure you’re looking for, perhaps a formal post-bac might work (that’s what I’m doing).

A few questions for you:

• Do you have any clinical experience (shadowing, volunteering, paid, etc.)? ANY med school will want to see this, and a lot of it. This is a must for you to complete while you are taking your courses, regardless of whether you do a 2nd bachelor’s, a post-bac, or take the pre-med courses ad-hoc.

• Do you have any research experience? A lot of Ivies want to see this as well – check their stats in the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements book, an AWESOME and necessary resource for all pre-meds, available at www.aamc.org/msar for $25 + shipping). This book will tell you what percentage of their matriculants did research, which gives you an idea of how important research is to them.

• Why are you set on Ivy League? While these are good schools, and very prestigious indeed, they may not necessarily be the best fit for you depending on what you want. Just something to think about. There are plenty of other good schools out there, too. I would be careful not to discount them just because they are not as “prestigious.” (Plus, a big part of that school ranking and so-called prestige, from what I understand, is based on NIH research funding, which may or may not matter to you.)

Ditto the above. There’s nothing wrong with shooting for the Ivies, but have a better reason for it than just to prove you can do it or because you think an Ivy League education is the only way to achieve your career goals. IMO, the most important quality of a med school is that it provides the best environment for you to do well in with the least amount of debt. I’m not at all not saying to not go for it, but make sure you have a back up plan and apply to a wide variety of schools in case it doesn’t work out.

Terra is correct, the rankings are largely based on NIH research funding. Average MCAT score and GPA are factors, as well as faculty:student ratio. The number that is most influential in a school moving up or down is usually NIH funding, though, as that can change significantly from year to year, and the other stats generally change over time.

I definitely recommend the MSAR, as well as spending quality time on the websites of various the various schools you are most interested in. You want to try and find things that will make you interesting and stand out from the crowd. Most everyone will have good/great GPAs and MCATs - so the big difference will be in extracurriculars. Leadership roles are a particularly important quality that many schools look for.

And no, I don’t think a second bachelors will help make you a lot more competitive - I think the “other” aspects of the application are where you should concentrate your efforts.

Taking a “rational/business” perspective, any project, such preparing for medical school, has costs in limited amounts of time, money, and resources (resources usually refer to staff but in this context it can be seen as personal energy). Investing in these costs, you look at the ROI (return on investment) or the risks and rewards.

If your goal is to get into a highly regarded “brand” medical school like the ivies, the only potential advantage that a second bachelors in a hard-core science might be seen as slightly better by the academic research leaning segments many of these institutions have. However, since the the typical “non-traditional” student, incongruous as that sounds, tends to be seen by admissions as someone bringing more humanitarian or social aspects into medicine. So you would be trying to compete with the most “traditional” students who are the ones who get noticed by the most traditional, conservative, research-oriented staff. So you would be a non-traditional student competing with the traditional research geeks directly instead of using your “atypical” status in a more creative view. Seems like an awfully high hill to climb.

Taking a complete second degree would expose you to the risks bad grades in the more advanced competitive courses as well. You would better off getting a post-bacc (formal or informal) or a masters-level post-bacc in a hard core science with thesis. You would still have that direct competition issue with the research geeks.

My other comment from a social view is what do you want to do? If you want to be a good practicing physician, then the desire to go to the best medical school may be misplaced. One of members, Joe Wright discusses his Harvard experience as a place where they want to produce medical leaders, not necessarily good physicians. Additionally, if you do not get into any Ivy but same a good state school, would you not become a doctor?

In short, answer for yourself as to why do you want to be a physician

I, too, don’t think a second bachelor’s is worth it.

Your GPA seems fine to me (i wish I had that GPA).

That said, I am doing a second bachelor’s post-bacc and it has taken a long time, through which I have accumulated lots of mediocre grades (B’s), cost me lots of $$$, as well as delayed my application to medical school by many, many years.

Not worth it unless you really need to shore up your GPA and you have the wherewithal and intelligence to do well; some of us, unfortunately, did not.

There can be other reasons to at least go through the motions of a second degree for sure. One is that it will usually give you an adviser in that school, say Biology, that you can use at times. LOR for example.

At least where I’m going, a non-degree seeking student is pretty much at the end of the registration cycle, as they don’t take prior credits into account. As a degree seeker, they do.

Unless there is a big detriment to perhaps not finishing a second degree after declaring, then there is no reason why you couldn’t go that route.

• jimi44 Said:
There can be other reasons to at least go through the motions of a second degree for sure. One is that it will usually give you an adviser in that school, say Biology, that you can use at times. LOR for example.

At least where I'm going, a non-degree seeking student is pretty much at the end of the registration cycle, as they don't take prior credits into account. As a degree seeker, they do.

Unless there is a big detriment to perhaps not finishing a second degree after declaring, then there is no reason why you couldn't go that route.

I would agree that the "tactical" perspective in order to get into classes, declaring a major in a school will help not being lock out of a course. But from a "strategical" stand point, actually completing a second degree would not be needed.

Hi everyone,

I came across this website as I was researching information about non-traditional med students. I believe it’s a great tool for information, interaction and support!

I have a few questions which I hope any of you guys can help me with. I’m 33, I’m not a US citizen nor I live in the US, I have a B.A. in Advertising & Marketing and an M.A. in Media Studies/Advertising Specialty, as well as around 10 years of practice as a strategic planner; so as I’m considering making a radical career change and going for the MD obviously I need a major preparation for med school due to my “humanities” background. What should I do to prepare myself for med school and eventually get into a decent institution? should I consider a B.S. in biology for instance, or would a B.S. in chemistry be better? actually do I have to go for another B.A. or B.S., can’t I just take the pre-med courses in another way that is more time effecient such as having intensive courses strictly concentrated on the pre-med requirements, if so where can I take those? what other factors would maximize my chances of passing the MCAT and eventually getting accepted in med school?

Any other piece of information would be appreciated guys!

Keep up!