Seeking Advice

Hello,

I recently graduated with my bachelors in biology. I have already applied to medical school once with disastrous results. Needless to say, I didn’t get in nor did I get in any post bac programs. Most of the graduate program deadlines have already passed so I’m thinking my best bet is to take a few courses and try to raise my ugpa of 2.98 with those courses. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can do this (what classes I should take) or any similar experiences?

I’d REALLY appreaciate it!

• futuredoctor22 Said:
Hello,

I recently graduated with my bachelors in biology. I have already applied to medical school once with disastrous results. Needless to say, I didn't get in nor did I get in any post bac programs. Most of the graduate program deadlines have already passed so I'm thinking my best bet is to take a few courses and try to raise my ugpa of 2.98 with those courses. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can do this (what classes I should take) or any similar experiences?

First, you need to objectively evaluate your application from all aspects. Obviously, your GPA is fairly low. But, was it the only hole in your application? Was your MCAT poor, mediocre or outstanding? What is your vibe on what kind of letters of recommendation you had? How does the non-academic portion of your application look? Do you have great extracurriculars/voluntee ring/work experience/shadowing/etc or is it the bare minimum? How did you perform in the pre-reqs?

It is too simplistic just to give you advice on what courses to take. With a degree in biology, it's going to be very tough to raise your GPA (especially your science GPA) significantly. Obviously, you should take some upper level science coursework to show that you can handle it, but beyond that you probably need to put some time into the other areas of your application.

I highly recommend you sit down with someone objective to go over your application. If you are serious about trying again, it might be well worth your money to pay a professional advisor to sit down with you, evaluate your application, and help you formulate a plan that is going to maximize your chances the next time you apply. Don't jump into random coursework next year just because it's too late to apply for master's programs. You will be farther ahead to take some time to formulate a good plan (even if it means not taking classes next year).

I agree about sitting down with someone else and OBJECTIVELY looking at your application. You need to know WHY you did not get in to then be able to FIX it. Aside from the obvious like GPA/MCAT, recent clinical exposure, volunteering, LOR’s…did you apply early (June-July)? did you apply to more than 15 schools? what schools did you apply to? did you submit your secondaries ASAP (within a week versus a month)? etc…

There are too many variables that could have factored into this process. So knowing why is super important. A formal admissions counselor such as Judy Colwell can help.

You’re absolutely right. My gpa wasnt the only negative in my application. My MCAT score was pretty low as well, not to mention other factors. I really appreciate your advice. I guess there is no need in rushing into the process blindly when I could formulate a specific plan. I will look into some professional advising. Are there any others you might recommend?

Hi there, the only one I know of (professional advice) is Judy Colwell, and to be honest I would use her services hand down just based on her experience.

What does applying to more than 15 schools do to you?

It maximizes your chances of getting in. Each school is vastly different and looks for different things that YOU as an applicant are not aware of hence applying to MORE will increase your chance of getting ONE acceptance. I am not sure if most of you are ware but there are over 30,000 applications for about 15,000 spots.

Oh I thought that there might be a penalty for applying to too many school. Because I figure that when I start at age 56, I’m going to need all the opportunity I can get.

Yes, at age 56, you will most likely need to cast a broad net to maximize your chances for success. The only “penalty” for applying to a larger number of programs is the cost.

• OldManDave Said:
Yes, at age 56, you will most likely need to cast a broad net to maximize your chances for success. The only "penalty" for applying to a larger number of programs is the cost.

Doesn't OMD subsidize the cost? I heard at the conference that once an attending all those who were at the conference were going to have their first cycle of apps paid for..... I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers hearing this.....RIGHT GUYS!!!