Shadowing #2

So I finally made contact with an M.D. willing to allow me to shadow! I am really excited. It’s a private practice. Pediatricians. Not necessarily my focus of interest, but I really don’t care right now. To be honest, I’m trying to shadow as many different docs as possible in as many different fields and specialties as possible. I figure having a broad range and wide variety of shadowing experiences will only make me look more well-rounded during apps.

My wife, however, is being a butthead about it. She didn’t want me to bother them, and she doesn’t want me to bother anybody else, either. I would like to talk to her OB/GYN because he is a REALLy good doc. But she doesn’t want me to bother him. I don’t really understand it. I guess she doesn’t think it’s necessary right now because I’m not a med student yet. She doesn’t seem to get the concept of getting yourself in the fray to show that you’re interested and have an idea of what you’re talking about.

I am volunteering at the local teaching hospital for the med school I want to attend, too. I’m going to be a patient advocate on one of the patient floors! That’s going to give me a huge amount of contact with patients, RNs, lab techs, and docs! They want a four hour minimum per week, 100 hour minimum per year. I can do that.

I also finally got a hold of the dean of admissions for the medical school I’m interested in and I have a pretty good dialogue with her. It’s sad, I actually have a better dialogue with her then with the 4 year school I’ll be transferring to. They’re kind of rude there. Anyway, I asked her if she could provide any more information regarding extra activities I could do to give myself a competitive boost. Hopefully, I’ll get a positive response!

All in all, it’s been a pretty productive week.