Shadowing - What to wear?

I will be shadowing 5 or 6 docs soon. Without contacting each one, is there a generally accepted form of dress when shadowing? Should I purchase a lab coat or do they often provide one for you? I am sure it varies, depending on the particular office or hospital, but I guess I am looking for a safe, no nonsence way to dress each and every time. Don’t want to overdress or underdress.

I’m not sure why you don’t want to contact the doctors.
Your safest bet is to ask each doctor what the appropriate dress is for the day. If you decide not to, tho, dress slacks and shirt/tie for men, skirt/nice slacks and blouse for women is the safest bet. Comfy shoes.
If you are going into the OR, they will have scrubs for you.
The issue of a white coat varies. Some docs feel that unless you are a med professional you should not wear one, it confuses the pt. A lot depends on the policy of the clinic/hospital.
Have a great time shadowing!!

5 or 6? How did you find these many, I don’t even know how I can find one…:frowning: can you share some experience? Thanks.

If you don’t have any contact with a doc, through work, friends, relatives, etc, you will just need to ask a doc. As a future OPM doc, I certainly plan to make myself available to any OPM members for shadowing.
Kathy

I sent out a bunch (60) of letters pleading for help to physicians in my metro area. I got calls back from about 10 of them saying they are eager to help. If you are a Christian, you might consider joining the CMDA (Christian Medical and Dental Association) as a student member. I believe if you share a bond with the physicians you are targeting that it will help.