Should I enroll to better premed institution?

Hi, older premeds,
I am studying premeds at a State University. I did not choose other school because my house is here. However, I always wonder if another school could help me better in applying to med school? Like Ivy Legeal, or other Top 50 schools? Does anyone here ever have this kind of question in minds? pls help me out, I am really confused here…
Or, I only need to get a very good GPA at my school??

Doing well at your state school is fine. You absolutely do not have to go to an Ivy or other elite school to get into med school.
Mary

Quote:

I am studying premeds at a State University. I did not choose other school because my house is here. However, I always wonder if another school could help me better in applying to med school? Like Ivy Legeal, or other Top 50 schools?

Joseph,
Focus on doing well at the current school you’re attending if that’s the school that works out with your life. In my opinion, there is no need to travel to another school if you’re preparing at a four year institution.
Larry
P.S. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that state academic institutions are less prestigious or less rigorous–leave that to the people who feel the quality of one’s education is directly related to the amount of money one pays to a school. I graduated from a state school that’s been considered one of the top liberal arts universities in the nation for nearly 20 years! And my pocketbook was much the happier for it–alas, going back to a private university for med school prereqs and attending med school (public or private) in the future has fixed that.

I definately believe a good GPA is worth more than the school name- after all- they’re accepting you not the school. I also chose a state school for financial reasons ($28k vs. $3k) The only other way I think it may be better to attend a private school/ ivy is if they have a “guarantee” of acceptance, contingent upon performance. Then, it may be worth it. Good Luck