I’m feeling a little discouraged and I was wondering if I should even try applying next cycle.
Year in school: Graduated
Country/state of residence: CA, ORM Asian
Schools to which you are applying: Still building List, but Mainly DO, UC Riverside (ties to IE), and a couple more MD (Still Deciding). I’m still refining my list.
Cumulative GPA: 3.2 w/ slight upward trend. 3.177 > 2.93 > 3.207 > 3.597
Science GPA: 3.035
MCAT Scores: 509
Research: 9 months of Drosophila Neuroscience/Genetics Research (~350 hrs) no publications, own project (did not complete)
Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites :
~400 Hrs Volunteer (Hospital)
~100 hrs EMT Volunteer with Undergrad campus and underserved populations in Mexico
~500 hrs volunteer scribing
~75 hours to close language health disparities through helping coordinate transportation for underserved senior citizens and providing translation services (e.g. making appointments, helping patients call pharmacies, etc.) typically low-income medicaid patients.
Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
- ~10 hrs ER
- ~100 hrs IM
- ~60 hrs Peds
- ~60 hrs OB/Gyn Surgery in China
- ~10 hrs Homeless volunteering
- Founding Director at my school’s Emergency Medical Service Organization with strong ties to campus, SOM, Emergency management, Police Department, and recognized by the county as a first response organization
- Leadership Team at the hospital volunteer program - Quality Management of volunteers at the hospital and maintaining Health Records (~300 hrs)
- ~800 hrs paid scribing (primary care)
- ~80 hrs paid EMT
- Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) : N
- Specialty of interest : Open to all
- Interest in serving underprivileged demographic: Yes, I come from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background
- Strong LOR from SOM Faculty and Physician Supervisor (scribe position)
Should I strongly consider SMP/postbacc?