Should I pursue an MD/PhD

Hi!
I’m wondering if I should pursue an MD/PhD? In undergrad I was a premed and majored in Neuroscience. I did some biochemistry research for 2 years (we didn’t have a big Neuroscience dept so I didn’t do any research in that field) and I now have a publication and presented my work multiple times. I really liked conducting research and I felt I was really good at it. I even got to do some of my research independently. However, I graduated with a 3.45 GPA. Because of that I am currently at Mount Sinai in the MSBS program. I am conducting research in Neuroscience and I really like what I am learning. I also very much enjoy what I am learning in my MSBS program. It’s hard but I try my best in the program. I considered being an MD and pursuing research on the side. But I feel like it would be hard to implement research while studying in medical school and as a practicing physician I’d need to take a lot of time out to properly conduct research. And if I just pursued a PhD I wouldn’t interact with patients as much, which I love doing.

Considering all of this I would like to pursue an MD/PhD but I am scared that my 3.45 uGPA will taint my application. I hope that my GPA at Mount Sinai can make up for this (I’m in my first semester so I don’t have a GPA for that program yet). Would it be a good idea to pursue an MD/PhD and would my uGPA reduce my chances of getting in to a program?

I also don’t have an MCAT score yet I plan on taking it in 2021

Thank you!

1 Like

Brief note: Most MD/PhD’s work greater than 50% (even > 70%) of their time conducting research versus the clinical practice.

I also look to pursue an MD/PhD. I believe this will help you determine whether the degree is a good fit. Currently I’m a high schooler and I’ve found this site very helpful. Unfortunately, however, I cannot provide significant insight on whether your stance is great or not for I’m inexperienced in almost every way (except for a few textbooks on my desk). Though according to AAMC, the average GPA for MD/PhD matriculates is 3.8 (with an acceptance range of 2.8 - 4.0); meanwhile the average MCAT score accepted is 515 (with a range of 495 - 528). Overall, I believe you can get in somewhere and the fact that you’ve published is a significant boost!

Though really all I did was provide facts rather than guidance—then again I’ve yet to enter college—but hope this helps a lot!