Should I pushback my MCAT test date

Hey Everyone,

Me again. I have a question for you guys. I am wondering if I should push back my MCAT test date? Right now, I have it scheduled for April 7, 2007 which is about two weeks away (I can change it up until March 30, 2007). My current high score on the practice CBT test is a 27 and its my most recent score and I have only received it once.

You guys know the importance of the MCATs so I was thinking about pushing it back until May 11th, 2007 or June 15th, 2007. The difference between those dates and my scheduled date is of course the additional time to study but also I won’t have classes (I will still be working though - but no classes) during that extra time.

Do you guys suggest I push it back or not bother since the extra time won’t make that much of a difference or I should take it now, and if I don’t do well take it again in July or August?

Dean

The general consensus around here seems to be to take the MCAT when you’re good and ready, as opposed to try it and plan to retake.

If what you’re feeling now is just standard pre-test jitters, we probably all feel that, and it may not pay to postpone.

If you believe that the extra month or two could allow you to improve your score, that would seem the wisest route. I don’t think that either May or June would be considered “late” to get one’s scores in, especially with the ~30 day turnaround time they have now.

Just the 2c of someone planning on taking it in July, so take this as you will :).

– evidently, when I try to preview, I’m told that this forum is not active. That’s odd.

• obesedude Said:
Hey Everyone,

Me again. I have a question for you guys. I am wondering if I should push back my MCAT test date? Right now, I have it scheduled for April 7, 2007 which is about two weeks away (I can change it up until March 30, 2007). My current high score on the practice CBT test is a 27 and its my most recent score and I have only received it once.

You guys know the importance of the MCATs so I was thinking about pushing it back until May 11th, 2007 or June 15th, 2007. The difference between those dates and my scheduled date is of course the additional time to study but also I won't have classes (I will still be working though - but no classes) during that extra time.

Do you guys suggest I push it back or not bother since the extra time won't make that much of a difference or I should take it now, and if I don't do well take it again in July or August?

Dean

Dean,

It's been mentioned many times so I'll be brief: don't plan on retaking it. Plan on doing well the first time. If it takes you an extra month or two, that's a tiny price to pay. Good luck,

you guys are awesome! yeah, i think i will push it back. i have to talk with one of my advisors before i make the final decision though.

thanks for all your responses!