Should I retake any old courses I did poorly in?

Hello everyone. I’m 37 years old, have a bachelors in music and last year decided to go back to University to pursue medical school. At this point I’ve completed Physics 1 and Chemistry 1 so I have a long way to go! I’m wondering if I should retake Calculus 2 which I took almost 16 years ago and got a dreaded ‘C’ in. I’m sure I could take it again and get a better grade with my current mindset, but I’m wondering if it’s worth it. From what I’ve read calculus is not that nescesary as far as the MCAT is concerned.

For what it is worth, I failed 1st year Calculus the first time I took it (23 yrs ago). Retook it a year later and got a C (needed it for my undergrad degree). I did not officially take it again as I was doing my post bacc, but I did essentially audit a Calculus course to refresh as my Physics course had some Calculus in it (no trig based option at my school).

I found that schools that required Calculus had a minimum grade of C for pre-reqs so I met that with my undergrad retake and most of the schools did not require it.

Since I have been accepted to KCUMB-COM this application cycle, I would say you don’t need to take it again. The only caveat would be if you are set on attending a school that requires it - you MAY want to ask them if you should retake it, but I think if you have excellent grades in everything else, you are probably OK.

Hope that helps.

Lynda

I wouldn’t waste my time on retaking calc 2 unless you feel you need to refresh yourself on it for some other reason.

I took Calc back in the Spring of 1990. Got that good ol’ dreaded ‘C’ in it.

I however, am retaking it. Starts next Tuesday to be exact. The reason I am retaking it though is I am taking advantage of Texas’ Academic Fresh Start Program, meaning anything over 10 years old, didn’t happen.

The ‘C’ was actually one of my higher grades from back then.

• whitehairs Said:
Hello everyone. I'm 37 years old, have a bachelors in music and last year decided to go back to University to pursue medical school. At this point I've completed Physics 1 and Chemistry 1 so I have a long way to go! I'm wondering if I should retake Calculus 2 which I took almost 16 years ago and got a dreaded 'C' in. I'm sure I could take it again and get a better grade with my current mindset, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. From what I've read calculus is not that nescesary as far as the MCAT is concerned.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

Rule 10: Beware of FUD: Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt

There math requirement is slowly changing overall in medical schools. about 1/2 the schools appear to require at least 1 term of calc. However, there seems to be both official and unofficial leeway in this requirement with statistics courses, etc. So while repeating the course and perhaps getting an A would be the ideal, is it worth the risk/reward and/or return on investment?

Risk/reward: The reward of getting an A would be a very minor increase in GPA, would look a tad (a real small tad) better on a transcript, but the risk of doing poorly exists. Additionally, any time, money, and effort you spend on this will take away from required prereqs and that is a big risk. Never risk bad grades by taking too much. I think the potential impact of the risk is not worth the possible reward.

return on investment concept: Is the work that would be needed to get an A worth the time in Calc II. Since the MD schools count every grade ever, getting an A now combined with the C previously effectively makes it a B grade on GPA. If you were to get a B now, that would drop the effective grade to a B- or C+. doesn't seem worth the investment in the costs of time, money and resources (ie personal energy)

As above, concentrate on the new prereqs you need and do well in those