should i retake?

I took the MCAT this morning and unfortunately didn’t finish the Physical Sciences section in time. I didn’t even have time to enter guesses for the last discrete section–I’m assuming 3 to 5 questions. Not sure what happened–I was well prepared, and had practiced with several full-length timed MCATs. I think I pulled it together for the rest, though, and did work which hopefully reflects my ability on VR/Writing/BS.

I was expecting a 10 for PS, maybe 11 with some luck. Now I’m thinking I’ll be doing good if I come through with an 8. I’m expecting 11/12ish for the other two sections.

And here’s the rub: I was hoping for a strong PS score because I took one semester each of Gen Chem and Physics at a community college. Got A’s, but you know the comm-c risk.

Any advice? I’m not really into retaking tests, but I know this one isn’t going to fully show what I’m capable of. Will it still be enough to get me admitted somewhere? (I’m applying to both DO and MD programs.) I’ve got strong GPAs (3.8 gen/3.8 sci), should have some good letters, and have an interesting resume, though I’m short on stuff like research involvement and shadowing (two days, thus far.)

Ethyl,

First of all, if there were only 3-5 questions left unanswered, that shouldn’t sink the ship.

Second, don’t worry about whether or not to retake the MCAT until you get your scores back. You may have done fine.

While you are waiting for your scores, if you are not currently taking any classes, find something to volunteer in that you really enjoy; finish your application; organize your thoughts. And most of all, find some time to have fun!

I think a bigger concern should be the lack of adequate shadowing experience. All things being equal, the candidate with more expreince in this area would likely get the yes vote for a final seat in a class.

Getting more shadowing is good, but it’s not a hugely quantitative thing, I don’t think. Once you get a good sense of what the physician does daily and can talk about it intelligently, racking up more hours probably doesn’t make you that much more attractive.

Hi lets recap

3.8 GPA

MCAT 8/11/11 so a 30? it may be.

• In reply to:
I've got strong GPAs (3.8 gen/3.8 sci), should have some good letters, and have an interesting resume, though I'm short on stuff like research involvement and shadowing (two days, thus far.)

And you are worried? Why? you should be accepted at all but the Ivies really 3.8 GPA is just about the highest and a 30 MCAT is pretty good.

the only question I have is the Patient experience? DO you have any real hours, Research is not a big thing.

Rule of thumb here

If you are in a decent place with scores (30 or better is considered good enough) then to retake would mean much higher scores, Lik a 30 becoming a 32 or better, since the risk is to do worse, doing worse has happened to a lot of people it is a real risk, how would it look if you end up 30 or 32 and retake it and get a 28 scored?

If you get the 30 or better with a 3.8 CC will not matter IMHO

Thanks everyone–I’m feeling a little more sane today (though a month does still feel like a long time to wait).

As far as patient contact goes, I’ve worked for the past 3 years–and am currently working–as a CNA at a long-term care facility.

I don’t know how an adcom will view this–I think it’s probably somewhat unique that someone would work that type of job with a four-year degree, but it’s been great for me, while I’ve picked up my missing premed classes.

I’m working on my app essay today and will be trying to figure out how to articulate this all.

• samenewme Said:
Getting more shadowing is good, but it's not a hugely quantitative thing, I don't think. Once you get a good sense of what the physician does daily and can talk about it intelligently, racking up more hours probably doesn't make you that much more attractive.

IMHO I think it depends on the school. I'd imagine solid clinical experience (which the OP seems to have) would be very important at schools that produce a lot of primary care doctors.

Having said that, I think I'd wait to get my scores back before making a decision especially if I were speculating about only one section being problematic.

Agreed. This is a good time to mention that very few people (no one I know of) walk out of the MCAT feeling good about it. It’s more common to feel you screwed up and will have to re-take it. Usually it’s just a reaction to the length and difficulty of the test so it’s important not to make plans until you get your score back.

• ethyl Said:
Thanks everyone--I'm feeling a little more sane today (though a month does still feel like a long time to wait).

As far as patient contact goes, I've worked for the past 3 years--and am currently working--as a CNA at a long-term care facility.

I don't know how an adcom will view this--I think it's probably somewhat unique that someone would work that type of job with a four-year degree, but it's been great for me, while I've picked up my missing premed classes.

I'm working on my app essay today and will be trying to figure out how to articulate this all.

CNA is not at all unique I know of several who did this, Nurse is more common though.

I think this will help you more then a volunteer position would for patient contact so I think you were smart.

The same thing happened to me (2003) but I had to put in 15 C’s! (yup that many) w/o reading ANY of the questions/passages because I also ran out of time with PS…ended up with an 8 in that section and 11/11 in the other two. Trust me, you will be fine. Get your application in early and relax. Good luck!