Smartest U/G Major?

I didn’t want to hijack someone’s quasi-related thread about his u/g major, so I started this one.

I’m curious what major nontrads who still have to complete their 4 yr degree have chosen.

As I’ve probably said too many times before, my BS is in mechanical engineering. Although, I’m lukewarm about my first career, I completely disagree with the ‘major in what you really enjoy’ school of thought. I’m cool with following your dreams and all (I’m here, right?), but stuff can happen. What the heck will a 30 year old philosophy graduate do for food & shelter money if he/she does not get into med school? What are those of you with Biology degrees going to do if something unforeseen happens and you can’t or don’t go to med school? The worst thing about biology is that the knowledge has an expiration date. At least some areas of chemistry don’t change much. . .why aren’t more premeds chemistry majors?

Why doesn’t anyone get a business degree? I know the premed science classes don’t really fit into the curriculum neatly, but has anyone considered that business training might be kind of handy when you are managing a practice someday? Accounting would be particularly useful.

For my kid who says he wants to be a doctor (he’s 4, but I’ll take it!), I would tell him to major in chemical engineering, minor in business, and squeeze in the biology courses on the side (I think I posted that once before, actually). I think you could pretty much go into any career you wanted with that education - construction, MD, pharm, medical research. . . I guess I am hedging, but the world changes so fast, I think the more versatile education you have, the better.

Anyone see where I’m coming from, or am I the lone party-pooper?

• AliJ Said:
What the heck will a 30 year old philosophy graduate do for food & shelter money if he/she does not get into med school? What are those of you with Biology degrees going to do if something unforeseen happens and you can't or don't go to med school?

I have a degree in Eastern Philosophy/Religion and here's a little of what I've done:

Epidemiologist

AIDS Educator

High School Chemistry teacher

I was also admitted MD/PhD many years ago.

Now I also have a degree Bachelors in Chemistry so that should explain a few of the gigs I've held down. And later this year when I finish my Master's degree in Pharm, my current position will become a full-time 6 figure gig with the Feds.

In the end, your career is not necessarily what you major in. It's how you taylor your paid and volunteer experiences to shape the kind of career/personal life you envison for yourself.

I know better than to start a debate with you ;), but could you have been/were you an Epidemiologist or Chemistry teacher without your Chemistry degree?

FWIW, I don’t have a problem with the humanities, and I agree, after X time, it’s your experiences that really contribute to your career. I can think of an example of a co-worker who has a BA in Foreign Language with a minor in construction management who has a very nice career in engineering management. I just think it tends to be the ‘other’ stuff about a person with a ‘soft skills’ type degree that really propels him/her forward. The degree isn’t carrying much of the workload. That’s not all bad, maybe it’s even better, but I’m kind of a weird person, and I’d hate to rely on my personality to get my foot in the door! It’s like I have a piece of paper that proves I am competent until I demonstrate otherwise.

• AliJ Said:
I know better than to start a debate with you ;), but could you have been/were you an Epidemiologist or Chemistry teacher without your Chemistry degree?

Hey now, I'm a good debater, even won the championship in High school. Just don't say anything crass and it's all good.

I was an epidemiologist the first time before the chemistry degree. I had volunteered under the County Epidemiologist and was at the right place at the right time. I'm also sure having a minor in microbiology helped also.

Again, ANY degree with some notable exceptions can be tailored into a specific career if you have the right experiences and know the right people.