So, I registered for the MCAT...

I am going to take it August 21st. I have taken all of the prereqs within the last year and a half and gotten almost all As. My only B was o chem I. However, I took the AAMC practice test 3 yesterday and didn’t preform that well. However, I’ve only started studying. Is it realistic to think that I could raise my score significantly in two months? Also, is there a learning curve in just learning how to take the exam?

I am very dedicated, and able to devote a good amount of time to studying. Plus, I don’t want to draw out this whole MCAT thing any longer than I have to.

Thanks.

You certainly can increase your score in that timeframe. The fact that you received excellent grades means you have a solid foundation to build on. The MCAT format takes some getting used to.

SDN has multiple threads dedicated to MCAT strategy. I’d be happy to share what I did to prepare, but I should probably wait to see how I did. I may be providing guidance on what NOT to do!

D

• somedayDrA Said:
I am going to take it August 21st. I have taken all of the prereqs within the last year and a half and gotten almost all As. My only B was o chem I. However, I took the AAMC practice test 3 yesterday and didn't preform that well. However, I've only started studying. Is it realistic to think that I could raise my score significantly in two months? Also, is there a learning curve in just learning how to take the exam?

I am very dedicated, and able to devote a good amount of time to studying. Plus, I don't want to draw out this whole MCAT thing any longer than I have to.

Thanks.

What I would suggest is that you use this time from now until your exam date to take multiple practice tests under test conditions (i.e. timed). If you've got a good foundation, you just need good test taking skills.

I've noticed that many people score right around their practice tests (as long as they take them properly).

One book that I got that I'm using as a study aid is the SDN MCAT Pearl Book...it kind of condenses the basic foundational information that you need to know.

Good luck!